Combines Jeff71 did you get doneIJ

dav11

unfortunatly yes, I changed that small charge fuel pump on the side of the motor, it really ran very well for almost 2 days and engine started the same losing rpms again, and when that happens check engine light comes on and as soon as engine rpms come back were they should be it goes off, only difference is now when you idle engine down below the 1700 area it will just die, called the mechanic from Cummins that was out and he asked me if the surge suppressor was changed when the new fuel pump was installedIJIJIJIJ like I know where that is, but I learned it is a small about 3 inches long and about diameter of a dime with 2 wires on it bolted to side of engine block and sort of behind fuel filter, if it was changed you ned to cut wires and splice them onto new one, everything looks factory new so obviosly no it wasnt changed so I call him and askhim to find one and call me and tell me what cost and where i have to go get it, three days pass never hear from him so I go to Sioux falls and get one, put it on, no improvement, actually thought it ran better with old one so put it back on, not much better, call Cummins mechanic back, now he says it was run too long like that it may have damaged something else so when the Cummins technician put on new pump why did he not know thisIJ-- I know a Gleaner dealer that has some soft ware that he uses and he is checking to see if it will work on this Massey-- they used the same engine, what I think is there has to be some sort of a electrical problem thaat is causeing all the rest of it, as I understand even of the fuel filter needs to be changed it should flash a code wether the engine is running or not, it has never flashed a code yet-- no matter what happens, and whatever would be wrong with fuel system, then whydoes the oil pressure warning alarm randomly come on and go off, what connection does the engine oil pressure have with fuelIJ I really not interested in paying Cummins anymore when they cant find problem.

8460_4_US

Guess I will keep my combine a little longer after hearing those kind of problems. No check engine light on mine.

Jeff71

It's in the bin. The combine ran like a champ after I had the charge pump and injection pump replaced. It was a mechanic from a truck repair place that really helped me out. They pay a subscription to Cummins for software. What he needed was the numbers from the engine and injection pump to match the proper software. I would think your Gleaner man could do the same thing. The mechanics laptop indicated the front solonoid was bad. His advice was to replace the charge pump and injection pump. That was a hard pill to swallow but he has had a lot of experience with that engine and has seen a lot of people try to get by on the cheap that were not happy with the results and back in the shop in a short time. I am convinced he saved me money compared to Cummins on parts and labor. Now your problem may be different since after you replaced the charge pump and it ran OK for a couple days. There are a few discussions on other boards that have to do with similar problems in Gleaners. There was one that the fuel supply line had collapsed internally. Other posts mention screens in tanks that were plugged with plastic shavings. Feel free to contact me at jbks02atgmail if you would like the name of my mechanic or any other info.

8780xp

Preaching to the choir. Have changed everything you have changed on my XP and it only solves problem for a time. Whenever the engine starts to buck me, I immediately change fuel filter and that calms it down for a while. I won't pay Cummins any more $ for their uselessness. Also, my oil pressure has been messed up since I bought the machine new. Dealer tried many things, no help. It just does what it wants at times and I have learned to tolerate it. No help here from me I guess, just letting you know your not alone. I love my Massey combine, just hope the Sisu's are running better than the Cummins are so when I trade up, engine issues are gone. Jesse

dav11

And I thought I was the only one with a problem that no one ever heard of, all Cummins ever tells me is that there really are no problems withelectronic 8.3s I think I changed fuel filter about 9 times in 200 hours it would seem to help for a few minutes right now it wont run below 1700 rpms, if there is a problem with it getting fuel why does it keep running at full throttle but will die before it will idleIJ doesnt make sense to me, Ihave a CaseIH dealer in the area that has a very good reputation for service and I asked them CaseIH uses electronic 8.3 in thier equipment, he seemed very familiar and knowledgeable,he said he has seen problems like that before and they dont mess around they just put on entire new wiring harness usually 90% of all problems they have had with that engine has been with wiring harness, and it doesnt take much to mess them up because they only run on about 5 volts, I checked out-- $500 for new wiring harness, so I think an idiot like me is going to try to change that thing, I figure I cant do much worse than Cummins.