Combines MF 8780XP s w great terms

NHD

This combine can stand on it's own. It is simple, has fewest moving parts of any, it is proven technology, it has a hyd. driven rotor, and I could go on. Please judge it on it's quality and performance not it's color or who is marketing it.

TwinRotor

You should hear yourselves talking. Your talking about a Massey and Massey Ferguson! The lowest of low quality.

johnboy

TwinRotor have you operated a 8780XP latelyIJ I have and I thought the standard of finish was right there with our 2001 TR99.john

JD

I looked at it at the FPS last Sep. It is very simple looking which makes me like it. But I noticed a couple of things that looked to be a little light for the job. The one that stuck out to me the most was the chain that pulled feeder house. It may have been n60 chain which is much to small in my eyes. Not so much that the chain can't handle the load but its always been my experience that the sprockets would not hold up when they where under sized for the job. I had some trouble with the old TR's in this same area because of undersized sprokets and chains. The big thing for me would be though, there has never been one in our area and I don't know of a dealer that would have any experince with one within a couple states maybe. So to go with one here, it would be a lot of trail and error in an economical time that would not allow for it. I'll stick with the TR's until I know more about one. BTW.....I'm sure the Massey will have the same headers as the Gleaners(IJ),but the bean platform that I saw on the new Gleaners is a sharp looking design. DOn't know how it would operate in the field thoughIJ JD

MW

A large belt drives the feeder house, the chain you saw was for the reverser.

NHD

you are right about that chain.The reason that most chains give problemis that if the chain drives a shaft that has a rachet type slip clutch the racheting will really mess up the chain if the clutch is too tight or the chain is to light. The 8780 XP is so simple that being away from a dealer is not so critical in this day and age. Cell phones etc. really keep you in touch with experts. Remember we are NOT going to have dealers closer together in the future. I suggest that if you need your hand heldby the dealer don't go for the 8780XP. If you are looking at something that really works and is the best buy go for it.

JD

Been running TR's since '76 with the closest dealer ever being 45 miles and he's never been to our place. So I'd say "hand holding" in not needed or a requirement. What is needed though is some source of info that comes from hands on experince. All pieces of eqiupment have certain quirks that will not show up on every machine or in every geographic area. like I said before, there has not been a new MF combine sold within I'd say 150 miles of me in the last 20 years. So any local knowledge is next to nil! Also, I already have so many parts for TR's that are of the type you never know when you'll need but I have them from all the years past. So if someone like myself where to change brands you'd have to eat those parts plus build up a new inventory for the new brand. I know what to look for noise's start, when vibrations appear, what to do to keep it running at it's optimium performance. All these issue's would have to be re-learned. Never seen the 8780 run, only looked at it at the shows.....simpleIJ yes it looks to be......dependableIJ don't have a clue......cost of upkeep_maintenanceIJ again, no clue......resale value HEREIJ I would guess one would end up being better off the cut it up and sale for scrap HERE!....etc...etc If you(NHDon) can afford to take the chance, please by all means do so and report back to us pronto! But I can't afford to soak up a $150,000.00 mistakeIJIJIJIJ this day and time. You should know by now that the cheapest deal is not always the most cost effective.....and I'm not knocking the MF 8780 at all, it's a equipment demographic thing! JD

JD

I don't recall exactly how that chain was pulled or by what power sourceIJ Can you expand on the reverser someIJ Is it a hyd. power source like the NHIJ or does it draw from the belt that pulls the feeder somehowIJ Thanks and appreciate any other knowledge on said machine! JD

hv_user

I own an 8780, it now has 530 sep. hours. It has been great so far,and my dealer is 100 miles away. I just had it in my shop to check it over every thing is easy to work on. A new set of rub bars is 140 dollars from Massey and other parts seem priced ok.I know nothing about NH combines there are none with in 250 miles that I know of.