Combines TR 86

john_holland

Depends where you are, around SEMN, the older nh are getting worthless. If it is shiny and worn out, it would bring 10k as a package at most. If it is ugly and worn out, you would be lucky to get 8k. I was at gehling's auction this winter, they sold a decent tr 85 for 3000, don't quote me on that, a nice 974 6row for about 3500 and another clean 974 6row for 1700. I saw the heads sell. We have a tr 86 and it is ok. I don't like the fuel mileage. We bought it a couple years ago with 2600 hrs and a 22ft flex head for 16000. It already had the bubble up auger replaced, which is expensive and made it a pretty good deal. ps, if you get the 86 post back for some info on gremlins in the light system that we can help you fix. they are a pain if you don't have help.

Nemotr

We've got the light grimlin in our 86. Could you share the fixIJIJIJ

JHEnt

I think theres a service bulletin that basically says to remove one of the worklights from that circuit. What mine would do is that all of the lights would go out except for 1 front top work lamp and the road lights. Everything else is on a second breaker located in the cab under the fuse panel and a relay. I removed the rear facing work light from the main wire. Then I installed 2 new rear lights right on the chopper(used the same lights that are on a CR chopper). I hooked the 2 new lights and the original rear worklamp to a small relay and breaker that I added right at the engine breaker panel. I just tapped into the wire that used to power the rear worklamp to act as the trigger lead for the added relay, and got the main power right from the feed wire that all of the engine breakers get power from. The breaker I used is the same 20 amp ones used on the combine. The relay is a small rectangular type rated for 20 amps. I got the relay socket and wire terminals that snap into the socket from Waytek wire. They have a min $5 per item so I had to order about 4 or 5 relay sockets anda bag full of the large and small terminals. Since I hooked it up this way my worklamps have never shut off. The CR style lights did also require a pigtail connector I got thru work. They have automotive style halogen bulbs. Relay make the rear of the combine like daylight.

john_holland

I don't have the official documentation with me, but I will give you the idea. Our 86 came with some electrical problems, so we put a new voltage regulator in the alternator, that fixed a surging problem, and a new light switch, that fixed the lights flickering. The light switch is cheap considering how complicated it is, so you might check that out if you can't get it fixed. The basic problem is that there are too many lights on one of the circuit breakers. We fixed ours by taking the lights on the auger and the bin and putting them on a separate switch that gets power from the accessory board that is under that cover by the gear shift. The work light relay still gets hot, but it has worked. I believe that the official fix is to go up on top the cab and change one of the work lights to the road light circuit and then put a heavier circuit breaker in the road light circuit at the back of the combine. If you study the electrical schematic, you should be able to figure out what I am talking about. Post back if you have problems and I will try to find the official NH update. You might be able to get it from your dealer if they have that stuff around, it was just a regular service bulletin from the late 80s I think. Have a good one

newholland06

Hi there JH, I would like to talk to you about that light setup a little more and maybe send some pics my way...I hate when the lights go out at night, it looks kinda funny from the road. Please email me so we can chat. Thanks, NH 06

newholland06

Hi there JH, I would like to talk to you about that light setup a little more and maybe send some pics my way...I hate when the lights go out at night, it looks kinda funny from the road. Please email me so we can chat. Thanks, NH 06 (newholland06@yahoo.ca)

Santa_Claas

You know what kinda gets my tail feathers in a ruffle is the fact that there are supposedly well trained, well educated people that design and build these machines. Somewhere there must be specifications on circuit breakers, etc. I'm not talking just NH, but a lot of machinery and auto manufacturers have these little problems. Sorry, just had to get that off my mind. Mild rainy day again here in SW Ontario. Not bad for shop work though. Working on a feeder house on a claas. Have to replace some worn chain guides. Take care folks. Kev