Combines CR rethreshers

Dustmaker

On our CR940, this has been a problem since day one, but a rather minor problem compared to some others. Our combine just seems to not have enough power. We actually have to slow down even when we swing out the unload auger. Hopefully we can get this figured out in the off season.

G

The problem with the rethreshers is that they throw the material into one band along the grain pan and sieve. We removed the deflector shields on the inside of the machine so that the material scatters across the grain pan. As for powerloss when unloading, check and see it your boost pressure goes up when unloading. If not, could be a software update or mechanical problems in turbo, etc.

NHD

This may sound silly,but I would sure try a new fuel filter first thing. last June I was about to Junk the CR940 because of lack of power. Supposedly the fuel fiter had been changed 4 hours before. Well,I fought it for a week or so. Finally It got worse. I checked the fuel filter and it hadn't been changed since Aug. 8, 2003. We had got fuel from an old tank.A new one solved the problem.Another idea, under heavy load you can get 44psi of turbo boost pressure. You can watch that on your info monitor. There is a stainless clamp on the connection that comes off to let the intake pressure out.Also you should get about 125% of power out of the engine before it loses rpm.They say 90% is a good place to run it.You have something drastically wrong if the engine pulls down when you unload onthe go.Thanks for the info on the rethresher. Dood luck.

G

The simple easy fix is usually the last place one looks for the problem, could very well be a dirty fuel filter or air filter. My experience with the fuel filters is that if the machine is running high engine load with not a great amount of material going through it or the load spikes over 100% with a change in operating conditions then its time to change both filters. Be very adament about the air filter cleaning. Everyday if possible, it will save you alot of fuel in the long run.

Dustmaker

Thanks for the info and advice. We have tried fuel filters, and air filters, to no avail. Not sure on the boost pressure. We definitely do not get 125% before engine rpm loss. We probably only get about 108-110%, and then rpm goes down fast. At 125% we would be close to plugging. The dealer was out and checked everything with a laptop, but I wasn't in the combine at the time, so am not sure what the readings were. We are done harvest now, and the combine will be going in to the dealer soon, so hopefully we can get it sorted out.

DC

Our CR940 sounds like yours: "not enough power". Fought it through wheat harvest. A new fuel injection pump and replaced turbo gasket got it performing better. We ran fine through corn harvest (ideal cutting conditions). We just put it in the field this week to start soybean harvest and only get 42 psi and it's pulling down rpm constantly. running at 117% power all the time and only running at 2.9 mph. Still have to pull back at times or it's slugged. Had another turbo gasket blown, but the new one didn't change the performance. Dealer is to be out today.

CR940

check the connection to the computer on the engine. There is an assist paper for power surging, there are 2 pins you need to tighten and our connector was full of dust. This fixed our lack of power.