Combines TR 99 headaches

Ilnewholland

We run a TR 99 with a 8 row head in about that kind of corn at that speed. I can not seem to go much faster as my corn head will not keep up, but the combine would. Tried going 5.5 and combine did a good job but the cornhead plugged up. Do you have round bar concaveIJ Do you have a lot of corn trash going inIJ I had to open up my deck plates some to get less trash in. I have my concave set at 45 and rotor speed of 700-750. The fan speed is around 820-850. The top sieve is open 2_3 or so. The bottom sieve is open all the way up. Also lower the back top seive ext down. Seems to work good there this year. Ilnewholland

NHD

I would have to echo what IlNewHolland said about settings. If you have a round bar concave and lugs on the rotors it ought to an excellent job especially this year when every ear seems to be totaly filled out even to the tip. We are in 200-230 bu corn and the yield monitor flow meter says about 2400-2500 bphr. Thats about all the bubbleup auger will take. we driving 4.3to 5.3 mph.It won't hurt to have the rotor speed up over 800 even in nice dry corn. Are you breakng up cobsIJ Is the material on the grain pan distributed evenly across the panIJ That helps. Do you have the front cover in place on the beater grateIJ Shouldn't be much retailings. Does your corn have Knife rollsIJ This time of year there are very few leaves etc. left on the stalks so you sould have less "stuff" going thru.Just to make you feel better I drove my son's JD9500 a lot this fall. You can't believe the way that thing grinds up the corn. Count your blessings! You need to ride in one a few rounds and listen to the rumbling, and grunting in tough beans. The dust coming out of the feederhouse is enough to turn me back to the TR.Cheer up I think you can get it set to to a wonderful job!

grumpy

I am now running rotor at 800, fan at 900, bottom sieve 3_4 open and top sieve about half open. I am using the Kuchar concave. The corn has a lot of leaves on it but not much trash coming in. The sample is much improved over what I had. I continue to get some small pieces of leaves but I am getting a lot of pieces of stalk 1-3 inches long. I have reduced these by closing the sieves but I fear I am heading back to where I was. What do I need to doIJ Thanks. By the way, I never had this problem with my TR 85,86 or 87.

Nemotr

Do you have blockoff plates under your back beater. The beater can drive stuff into or through the top sieve if some is not blocked off. We block all of ours off.

AAPIII

This sounds just like my post on 10_21, We don't know what to do either and here in cen. wis. 110 bpa corn is great this year(no rain again). It just drives me nuts to hear you guys say your going 4-5 mph with a 8 row head in 200 bpa corn and I can't go more than 3.8-4 mph with a 6 in 100bpa corn with out loosing corn over the rotors.

Ilnewholland

I am not sure what your concave is like, I have never seen one like that. You could be over trashing some yet. Try lowering the concave till you get corn left on the cob, then pick it up some. Did you do a kill stallIJ You may be over loading some part of the sieve. You may have to adjust the distribution plates. I have the ones under concave almost stright down and the ones under the separator grate out half way. If you do the kill stall it should cover the grain pan even but be less on the out sides of it. Also the back beater should be all the way down and have at least the wide cover on it, or both of them. What ever you do this year it may not work next. Seems every year is different. Good luck, Ilnewholland

Ilnewholland

Are you sure it's coming out over the rotorsIJ Most times that is hard to do. If you corn did not grow right this summer or got frosted that may have something to do with it. Only time I had corn come out the back of the rotors was if cobs break in 1_4's. That is hard to adjust then, but can be done. You just have to find the right rotor speed and concave clearance. Best may be to remove the concave ext on one side and take an avg cob and adjust the concave to just roll between concave and rotor bar. Also check to make sure your concave is level and not in a wedge or damaged. Hope you get it right as a TR99 is a great combine. Ilnewholland

pete

I thought those rear beater grate covers should only be left in for soys to avoid spearing. Would it not reduce rotor loss because the kernels can fall throughIJ Also I usually have 0.7-1.0% dockage.Is that normalIJ thanks pete

Ilnewholland

I keep the wide cover in all the time for wheat, beans and corn. I don't think you should have any grain left by the time it gets to the beater. The rotor should have got it all by then. If you don't have the cover on you will overload the sieves and lose cleaning capacity. Also if you leave the cover in you have to watch out after a few years as it will wear a hole out in the cover and start windrowing the straw. I had that happen. Ilnewholland

l

Hi guys, Grumpy I feel your pain...Our 86 has every other wire out the whole way and only a handful of spacers (rollers on wires) we have a brutal time getting the corn not to crack...The dockage yo yo's anywhere from 0.9 to 2.9...We had the dock go from 2.2 to 1.8 and then back to 2.9 all on the same field...I could kill someone!!!! 150-170 bu corn at 25% with rotors slow to 680 and fast to 800 with concaves all the way open to about 10 closed with the fan at 1050 with fixed round hole top chaffer, ground speed around 3.0- 3.5 mph not rocket speed...Unload on the go... I want to deal this combine I swear...I am getting a 1660 to try next dry day and compare.... I asked last year and got no real fix on it...It is mostly the NK corn doing it but I did not know that NH made a Self Propelled grinder mixer... We looked at Kuchar concaves also...Are they worth the moneyIJ Thanks... lA.