Combines Double drive or single drive on 970 header or bothIJIJIJIJIJ

Gromit

Don't know about the 970 but I know the 972 comes with double drive. Does anyone know if the 973 series came with double driveIJ

Shane_IN

973's came with both. Have one now with the single and had one with the double.

Shane_IN

I like the idea on not having two sickles but this is the first year for the single drive. I would think as long as you stay out of really tough conditions, lots of heavy grass, the single would be better. Although that is a lot of stress on one drive belt. Don't make much difference to me now but time will tell.

Boss_Man

I had a look at a 970 header and it does indeed have a double drive. looks like I'll have to buy a feedhouse from a wrecker off of a TR75 or TR85 to make the 970 work on my TR70. Although I did find a fully reconditioned 222 JD header with PU reels modified to fit a TR70 for $8900 Canadian. I need a header with a bigger auger than the 960 NH has so that the crop feeds in more easily. I hate my 960 header. PU reels would help some but this header isn't worth it. Does anyone know what a feedhouse would cost at a wreckerIJIJIJ I might be better off just getting the 222 header instead. I farm in Alberta.

Mjay

I believe that any 970 head over 20' had dual knive drive. As far as putting a 85 feeder on your 70, I don't think the drive on the upper right side will match up. I had a 960 on our 70 years ago and that small auger is a pain!!

Shane_IN

I should think you could find a good feederhouse and a decent header for less that that $8900. Hard telling though. I have never seen any 970 headers. Are they a flex or rigidIJ

Boss_Man

The only 970's I have seen are all rigid. I can get a good used 970 24 foot for about 5000.00. Almost $4000 less than that JD header. Not sure what a feederhouse would cost but I can phone a wrecker and find out. You are correct that a good 970 header and feederhoouse would likey be less than that $8900.