Combines Trouble with Stone Trap Door anyone ever seen thisIJ

Ilnewholland

I had to rework the stone trap on my combine this summer. The welding on the U shape piece that holds the rod and spring on the side broke lose. Also there is a small bolt on the latch that holds it to the rod that will shear sometimes. All of those things would make the rod longer and not keep the door closed right. I don't think you could twist the shaft easy. But you never knowIJ Ilnewholland

JD

Have broke the bolt before but not this time. Weld on that "u" is fine. Thanks, and keep 'em coming, somethings bound to turn up! JD

Ilnewholland

It almost has to be the key on the shaftIJ That would be the next week part that I see. Good luck! Must be nice to be almost done. Ilnh

JD

Your are right Ilnh! Had to get a good look at it, one when your eyes weren't full of pea dust!!!! Now, getting it off with the broken keyIJ Thanks, JD

twin_spinner

with regards to the shear bolt ours seems to always be bent and we would break 3 a year in 4500 acres is this normal or not, using grade 8 bolts IJ

Ilnewholland

Another problem solved, just call me Dr. TR! Your bill will be in the mail. If you can not get it off but could spin it back into the right place, I think I would just weld it on there. That may be a faster and better fixIJ Ilnh

Ilnewholland

I don't think it is normal, but it happens. I was breaking them also till the upside down U shaped piece broke off and I rewelded back on better than the factory did. I think it was bending back before and the adjesting rod with the spring was bottoming out and that would break the bolt. Seems now after I fixed it the bolt don't break anymore. You may want to look at thatIJ Ilnh

CNHTEK

Sounds to me like the door itself is twisted on the shaft. That whole heavy door is only spotwelded on the inside but the outside is more solid, so when something liek that happens the upper lip if the door twists awaybut doesn't tear the spot welds or noticably break any of the bottom welds. If it is possable to get a new door from somewhere just to look at for a comparison, lay them flat on a table with the outsied face down then you will be able to tell.