Combines Grumpy and long auger re problems with sample

l

Hi JD.... How much of a groove left in the rasp bar is bare minimumIJ How deep are they to begin withIJ If I have to replace them how hard is it and how much would that beIJ What is the easiest way to check the level of the concavesIJ There is no real cob in the sample just busted up corn...We seem to lose some out of the rotors if anywhere...Have one plate in the beater covering grate...Have rollers in concave ext only...Tried faster like book says and tried almost every combination of speed and clearance...the bubble up auger is new last spring and only has 500 hours on it...It was extended wear style with thicker edges....Thanks for the help...I await your response... The average dockage is around 1.5-2.5% and that bugs me...I would like it around 1.0% or less if that can be done. lA.

JD

lA, On the wear of the rasp bars, best thing to do is to take one row off and compare to a new set. Some of the bars will show more wear than other's, so comparing them to new ones will show this. Watch for the number of shims with each rasp bar as they come off incase you don't replace with new ones. To replace them, you can do it through the side door or pull the rotors. If you have the time, pulling the rotors out and replacing the rasp bars and shimming them, then re-balancing the rotors is a better approach. But not entirely necessary so that's up to youIJ You may wanna pull them and have a dealer do the work if you can't get or build a set of stands to balance them on. It's not that hard to build a set. Not a very easy way of measuring the concaves, have to climb inside to measure inside rub bars, but if you pull the rotors you can do it from the front a little easier. Have you tried pulling the rollers out of the ext'sIJ I put them on but was not pleased with the quality of the work, actually they caused more grinding. The dealer I bought them through told me they never much luck with them, I should have listened, ehIJ ;-)) A complete rasp kit for both rotors is available, the kit number is B96206, this includes all the rasp bars and bolts. I'm not sure about the cost of this kit but it should be cheaper than piecing it. If you pull the rotors, you might as well put new sprokets, chains and bushings on the rear end and new front plate bearings. Another thing about the grinding, make sure you don't run the bottom screen to tight and run a bunch back through. Maybe some this helps, JD

Nemotr

New rasp bars thru nh are around $1600 for all 24 with hardware. The kit,which might take 10 days or so was quoted at around $1300 payed in advance. You might want to check on a set from lowene(sp),Abelene machine machine. They quote a full set with hardware that are hardened. We just did our 98. Made it feed smoother.

l

Thanks for the replies fellas.... I am going to look into the rasp bar situation soon...The question I have now is what number of acres harvested would have to be done before replacing a set of barsIJ Would 10,000 ac of corn, beans and wheat be a good round figure for calculatingIJ That is roughly what we figure has gone through this combine (we have put about 2200-2600 by the end of this year, the rest was first owner since new). Just like to hear your opinions... I also find the concaves are full of hairpinned corn leaves...That can't really be avoided can itIJ Thanks again... lA

JD

The amount of wear, "wear parts" exhibit has a lot to do with the type of soils it runs on. So it's hard to put a roundabout number on it. lot's of dirt goes through a combine. On the concaves hairpinning, from time to time tighten up the concaves so there's a lot of contact in there to help rub it off for a minute or two. This may help and it may not but it's worth a try. I have seen it work times and other times not. JD

Nemotr

The rollers on the concave wires are supposed to be for the control of hairpinning. We don't seem to have the problem so couldn't say as it does or not. We've dropped all of them off ours except on the extensions. Got a few gallon cans full of the rollers.