Combines Engine air intake location problemsIJIJIJ

NHD

I agree with you it is in dusty spot especially on windy days. I don't think the asperator is working very good either. We cleaned the air cleaner almost every day. I think the updates for 2005 will be coming out soon. 2005 production will have addressed some problems too.

sbkuroki

Tell me about it! I've gone through 4 filters in 300 hours! Tried cleaning them but a problem developed, 5-6 folds pulled together big space then 5-6 pulled together also lost boost psi. and fuel consumption went up...I recommend you check your filters if you clean them!

FarmerTom

we run old conventional combines, MF and NH, in some very dusty dirty conditions. it was not uncommon for us to put in a new engine air filter every 3 or 4 days of operation even though we stop and clean the air filter 3 times daily. this gets expensive with the cost of filters and the engine oil consumption rate. recently we replaced the primary intake on our combines. moving it to a convenient servicing location, built a box frame with lid, and put "Perfect Pleat" air filters around the 4 sides of the box. these filters are used in industrial environments where air needs to filtered for human use. we considered volume of intake when considering size of the box. we custom combined oats(hulled and hulless),winter wheat, barley, and barley with peas from aug 18 to oct 30. the last of the combining was the dirtiest as the crops had been rained on so much. the results. total filter cost was greatly reduced for the season, inspection and servicing the primary filters was made extremely easy, the secondary air filter (round filter) did not need replacing throughout the complete season and best of all- oil consumption dropped considerably. the "Perfect Pleat" filters cost us about C$12 each for a 16 x 16 filter and for each one used we saved $50(approximately) over the previuos year's operation in the same conditions. my 2 cents worth.

tx68

I dont know if this will help but on a TX, the air is pulled into the filter from between the rad and rotating screen. The spinning rad screen seems to keep most of the dirt out. There is a sheet metal passage from the rad on the right side to the air filter housing on the left side. If it is very dusty we still get about 300- 400acres between filter cleanings. I usually clean them before the light indicator because the engine starts using oil with a dirty filter. with a dirty filter. Jim

Mick

Is this on the CRIJ If it is, try sealing the rotor covers, we have found that a lot of dust comes from the covers and gets sucked straight into the air intake. Seal the covers and the problem is reduced. Regards, Mick in Oz

NHD

I forgot about this. I agree sealing up both front and back side rotor covers helps tremendously. We even used foam rubber strips to close the gaps. They have stayed put and the dust can'get out there.