Combines 73 Flex Header

Ilnewholland

AusFarmer, I will try. To put out of flex into a ridged lockup you will need to rest the cutter bar up somehow. I use my header trailer backwards to hold the cutterbar up. Then you will need to use the T-nuts and washers to bolt it up from the underside. You will then need to tighten to all but a quarter turn and then push the skid plates up and make the final quarter turn to hold them. Keep unhooked the wires for head control. To go back to flex just undo what I said. Be carful because you are working under the combine head. If you can get someone to help it will go better. I hope your Father gets better. My Dad has been sick this year also and it sure can take the fun out of farming. Good luck. Ilnewholland

Nemotr

We just purchased a used 73c this year. Haven't locked it up yet. Ilnewholland tells you right except if it's like ours the skids aren't hanging(different from our 973)so it doesn't look like You need to do the quarter turn deal at the end. There are holes through the channels under the head towards the rear. you will have to look for them from under the head AFTER ITS lOCKED UP!!!! I need to get the nuts, or what ever they are, from the previous owner to secure ours up. I'm thinking that they might just be a deep nut without the wings on the nuts as the wings are there for the hanging skids. I've got a parts book for the 73c so will check and see if it shows anything. like Ilnewholland states, its best to block the cutterbar up rather than trying to pull it up with the nuts. We use a handyman (aka "mankiller") jack under the cutter bar with appropriate length pipe slid over the top if our head trailer isn't around.

Nemotr

My parts book shows the hanging skids with the wings on the nuts so if your skids hang way down and a chain supports the back then the wings on the nuts will lock the skids up. Fwiw--- On the 973 we didn't always lock the skids up, just the cutterbar. But if you do this don't forget and back up with the head down!

Ilnewholland

My 73c is just like my 973 was. The skid plates hang down. I will also add the before you try to lock the head up you need to clean out all of the dirt and junk that builds up under the head. It is a dirty job but has to be done. Ilnh

AusFarmer

Thanks guys. very much appreciated. i thought that was all i had to do. i have it in flex mode at the moment harvesting lentils and we have lentil lifters on there but i seem to be having some trouble harvesting them. on both ends of the front_header everynow and then they block up with dirt. it seems as though on both ends that they are flexing more than the rest of the header. On each end they have the guides as to how far you can sit it down on the ground etc so i follow those guides but still blocks up on each end every now and then...and the paddock is flat, was rolled with big heavy steel rollers so i dont know if its just something that i am doing wrong or not. We have a TR98 if that helps with anything...i am unsure if there is any sort of float mechanism...i am not aware of one but a neighbor of mine has a CASE and said they have a float mode which they use with their rigid header... Thanks once again AusFarmer

Nemotr

Do you have electrical wire plugs on the right side of the headerIJ I thought all 73 headers and 98's had electric header control. If so there should be plugs on the throat and on rear of the head on the right side. Then there would be a switch on the console in the cab that has an auto setting and a manual setting. If it is standard (I've never seen one without in the US)then it will turn on when the wires are hooked up, the switch is in auto and the down side of switch is activated. The up side will turn it off. Are there a row of lights on the right side under the gauges that say "auto on" "up" "down" "tilt"IJ If these are there the "auto" light will stay lit as long as its on and the other lights will flicker as its adjusting the hieght. Hope you have this as will make operating a lot easier.

Nemotr

Correction to Ilnewholland; Our 73c is just like our 973 too. I have been used to the skid hanging way down on the 973. The ones on the 73c are pulled up a lot higher and they looked almost flat so I assumed----------! We put ours up yesterday and yes its a dirty job. Today a guy wanted us to put them down and cut a few beans then move 10 miles and put them back up and cut 25 acres of milo then go back to beans. We'er going to stick with the milo until done then take them down. Sorry about the missinfo. AusFarmer how are you getting alongIJ Does your machine have auto header controlIJ

NHD

Don't forget that there are two roller chain sprockets on the platform auger drive. I found that slowing up the auger helps the even feeding to the feederhouse.I assume that the 93C auger has fingers all the way to the end.