Combines Test drove a cr940

Ilnewholland

Nice to hear that you liked the CR. What was wrong with the flex headIJ Poor feedingIJ The NH flex will work good but you have to get everything set just right. If one thing is not then they don't work and can be torture. I had my 73c cutting great in soybeans till the ground got wet and I had to reset everything to cut double crop beans. I got it to go 5-5.5mph in the mud now. Most times I think you can make the head feed good if you take the time to do it. When it works good, it will run with the best. I have never ran a draper, and I hear good things about them. I was going to get to demo a 42' flex draper on a CR960 but it never made it down here. Maybe soon I will get to run oneIJ Ilnh

FR

What crop were you harvesting that the auger head did not work as well as the draperIJ

hop_a_l

I was cutting 25b_a beans and could not get it to feed worth a ..... I told the NH guy his head was a piece and he said that the reel probable could come down some but because it was a demo machine he did not want to have all the fingers cut off. The beans would bunch in front of the auger and build up til they were over the cutter bar and start pushing beans over or they would would get cut and fall off because there was nowere else to go but sit there until taller beans were able to push them in. We were cutting on mud and I don't think the sickle had been change yet this year. I was lucky if I could go 4 mph and do a descent job, the combine would go well over 5.5 mph. We went and got the other 9600 and put it on the MacDon and the NH got shut down within 30 minutes of the draper running.

NHD

hop-a-long, We're curious about the crop you're cutting, the conditions, and any other info you can provide to validate what you're saying. Sounds like you are evaluating things on their merit rather than what the color is or what your piers think. I have been around and operated and even owned most of the current models including JD, CaseIH, Gleaner, lexion Massey and my choice is the CR. I have over 200 hrs with a CR940. I am most curious about the MacDon flex draper. I have a HoneyBee that is my favorite by far over an auger platform even one with a full fingered auger.

hop_a_l

We were cutting group 5 beans that were planted around the 20th of July, so some of the pods are touching the ground. The CR had a 25' flex and the 9600 had a 30' draper and because of the head the 9600 was able to travel about 1_2 to a full mile_hour faster. I did not get to run the 940 long enough to get comfortable with the machine, the boss came and took over while I went and got the 9600 going but I did cut for about an hour and he got to run it for about 2 hrs. The hardest thing was getting use to the controls after running a 9600 for the last 3 years and before that running R-72's with both auger and draper heads. The controls aren't confusing it's just getting use to hitting the right one. We both hit the o-sh... button on accident more than once while trying to resume auto head control, and the hydro release on the back of the handle takes a little getting use to. One other thing is I was on tracks on the deere and the 940 on tires added a little more pressure. As far as adjusting, I have no idea because that was done while I was loading the first 9600 on the lowboy, but it did look simple enough. NH said they had somethings locked out on the computer because they did not want everyone missing with the settings, one of which I would have like to see was the "headland setting"(IJ). If I understood him right the sieves will open up when you raise the head up to turn around, in order to save the grain that usualy goes sliding out the back. They also had a corn seive in instead of the grain and it still had as good a sample as I was getting with the 9600 with less cracked beans. As far as the MacDon vs. HoneyBee, I have only ran MacDons. But we also run a 25' ridged MD with the flex and I cann't stand the ridged after running the flex. I helped get the 25' going and drove it about 500', crawled out and told the other guy I hope he likes it cause if I never cut beans with it again that will be to soon. That flex is worth every extra penny it cost's. Its like running 3-10' heads through the feild with all of them working together, and in about 2 minutes or less I can lock it into a ridged head. A person just does not relize the amount the land rolls in even 10' until you try to get a 25' head to shave the ground, with the flex one end can be dropping over a hump while the other end can be raising to go along a terrace. If you get a chance to run one do. There is a learning curve to it so it takes a very little time to get spoiled.

Ilnewholland

Cutting short beans in the mud is the hardest. Reel needs to be as low as you can get it and the dealer is right you may cut off some fingers, most of them right in the middle as the reel seems to sag. Also have to tilt the feeder house angle back. I have also used the Gleaner hose trick on the cutter bar and that helps. I wish someone could come up with a reel control that would go up and down as the cutter bar flexes. You could set the reel just above it and it would never cut the fingers. I would make one if I only knew howIJ Ilnh