Combines Thanks and a couple more questions on the TX68

Pilgrim

We've had very little problem with the electronics and they have a lot of self-diagnostics built in which can make finding problems very simple. Even a lot of the sensors self-check. I have no experience with a flex head to share with you. You've likely already discovered this in your research, but if not, the later models have adjustable concaves on the two rear ones, as well as the cylinder, which can help in peas_beans and other fragile crops. Also, you can have either rake teeth, paddles, or a combination of both. Something else that can help with these crops is the tilting feeder face plate - again on some later models. We have a 66 for sale right now with these features. If you haven't seen them or don't know what I mean, e-mail me and I'll send you some photos.

tx68

The flex head works if it is set up properly. A slight modification is needed to make our North American head work on the TX. The operators book is wrong in the method it gives to set up the head for programing in the 1995 book and 1997 book. There is a service bulletin with a revised method that works much better. Cutting short soybeans is difficult because the reel is not close enough to the knife. Beans pile up on the knife and go down the auger in bunches which lowers the capacity of the combine. We put pieces of belting on the fingers to help slap the beans into the header auger before they piled up. This only helped a little. We added an air reel to it and that made a huge difference. Very satisfied with that modification. I think I am going to put a 3rd lift cylinder on it now because the head raises quite slow with the extra weight of the drive and air plumbing. The sonic hight control is not used in any of our fields for cutting grain. The stubble hight control makes a nicer looking job as the sonic mode made the head float around a bit making wavy looking stubble. All are fields here are quite level anyway. One thing you may consider before buying one is if there is any experience with your local dealer with these TX machines. Especially the guys in the back.They are quite different than the trs electrically and mechanically. Its also nice to have someone who can guide you with tips on how to set up for different problem conditions with crops or mechanical stuff.