Combines Bin sensor light

Shane_IN

Must be something in the sensor. Only logical thing I can think of.

brit_binder

Is the sensor a original component or a add on or replacementIJ Just thinking that someone may have placed a light sensor there thinking that when the bin is full the crop will cover the sensor extinguising all light from it and triggering the light in the cab. If the sensor is high sensitivity then when daylight fades it will be on constantly! An easy test is to wait until dark and check the full bin cab light is on (dont try in well lit workshop!) then shine a torch on to the sensor, get someone too check if the cab light turns off at the same time and then you have your answer. If this is the case simply change sensor for an original part or check your local electrical retailer for a suitable pressure sensor( probably alot cheaper)

johnboy

It is stock standard, the bin light has never been moved.As soon as the sun sets the bin full light will come on even before you turn the headlights on. I've cleaned the sensor and played with the wires and that did not work.

brit_binder

Well i can only think that it's as i said a light sensing sensor. If i'm right it works by sensing light that comes into the bin, while the sensor can see light it will remain a negative connection but when light is obscurred from the sensor by grain covering it when the bins full it realises there is no longer any light shining on it and will make a positive connection and turn the warning light on in the cab. So what i'm saying is when the sun sets the sensor no longer gets enough ambient light from the days sun and thinks that because there is not enough light shining on it it must be covered in grain and therefore sends the full bin signal to your cab. If you carry out the test i explained to you then you will be able to tell if this is the case. Simply wait until night, turn the combine on, make sure the cab warning light is on then shine a torch onto the sensor in the bin, if the warning light inside the cab turns off at the same time you are shining the torch onto the sensor then it definately is as i said a light sensitive sensor. I may be completely wrong and need a good beating but if i'm right you have 2 options. 1; replace the sensor for a pressure sensor(the bin full light in the cab will only come on when the sensor is covered in grain which creates pressure on it) 2; simply set a light up that will shine onto the sensor (preferably from above) then when sunset comes turn the light on and hey presto the sensor will still have light on it so it will remain in a negative mode until the crop covers the sensor and blocks the artificial light (just as in the daytime) creating a positive connection. The reason the light comes on before you need headlights is just that it's to sensitive and needs more light.(or your eating to many carrots lol) Just please do the test as i said and you will have your answer.

Shane_IN

Actually I think it uses a laser type light between the two "posts". I would say that the sensor is bad but that doesn't explain why it works in day and not at night!

CNHTEK

The full bin sensors in all TR combines is an lED Optical sensor which has a red lED and an electronic "eye". The light from the lED shines across the sensor into the eye causing the negative condition and turning the light in the cab off. the only effective way to test this sensor is to put a good coating of Black tape on the eye and see if the light comes on and shuts off when removed. My guess is that the sensor is bad.

johnboy

Thanks to all the replies. As soon as I get a chance I will try the ideas. John