Combines replacing electrical connection on tx66

tx68

There is a tool called a pin extractor that is used to release the pins from the housings. The wire can then be pulled out the back. Pins can be crimped with the right crimper or soldered. All pins on the ends of the harness should be even or the odd length one will have stress on it. The plugs usually tell you what make they are like molex or amp. Compatable pins are available from such places a digikey if you have trouble getting them. New Holland should be able to get them. There are orings in the housings that keep the water out. They are easy to loose. Especially if you do like I did and blow out the housings with compressed air to clean them. I spent an hour crawling around trying to find all those orings.

pedro

Thanks for the reply TX68. Did you have to replace the whole housing or did you just replace a number of individual pins that were damagedIJ I think i might need to replace the housing as the heat has warped a section of it. If so do you think all the ok pins from the old can be placed into the new housingIJ Seems like it will be quite a job to put 37 pins in a new housing. Thanks for you help.

tx68

You can clean the male pins with scotchbrite but i don't no how you could clean the female pins. The female pins rely on a springing action to pinch slightly on the male pins. When the oxidation starts in them it forces the female pins open as well as making a high resistance connection which causes them to heat up. The heat causes them to corrode faster and the springyness of the female part to go away. I never had to do one of those big connectors but did some of the 3 prong connectors on the loss sensors in the back. There are a huge number of those pin extractor tools. Each one is made for a specific pin size and brand and pin type. I was lucky and had one that fit. The shrink tubing they put on the outside to seal the back of the plug to the wiring harness is not that great because it needs to shrink alot down from the plug to the wire harness size. Most of ours split in time which would let the moisture in easily. I wrapped them with self vulcanizing electrical stretchy tape to help keep them dry and clean inside. If you find some unfixable pins you may be able to uncrimp the wire from them and replace it. If you cut it off and crimp on another there is the risk that there will be alot off stress on that pin because the whole weight of the wire harness will be on that one pin due the wire being shorter. I sprayed the inside of all the connections on everything with this lPS2 stuff that is supposed to keep electrical connections clean. Even the crappy connections that are on deutz tractors have not given me any problems since I sprayed them. I can lasts for years around here. Its good for battery cables and truck bumper plugs to. There are other sprays that do this that may be easier to find. Some of those pins need a special crimper to get a really good crimp. You can also solder them if you think the crimp you got on them does not look good with the crimper you use.