Combines What to Buy II

Ilnewholland

I almost think they are as the CR shares about 60% of it's parts with the 8010 and most of them are in the frame. Have not seen any problems with axles or final drives here.

JHEnt

NO they are not the same. Here's what is the same. CR970 and the CaseIH 8010 both have a 10.3l IVECO engine. The lower chasis and drivetrain is the same. This makes the cleaning shoe itself the same but CaseIH installed their own hydraulic driven fan. The CR970 uses the double returns. This returns system is carried over from the TX combine. CaseIH made their own single sided return system. Other than that the cab frame and the grain tank sheetmetal is the same. CaseIH went their own way on just about the whole machine. They use almost all hydraulic or CVT(half hydrostat, half mechanical drive) for everything. BTW in your first post you mensioned adding aftermarket extensions. The CR970 comes with planetary finaldrives as standard. The Cr940 and CR960 offer them as optional. There is also a different transmission that comes as part of the planetary final drive option package. If you are going to run a 12 row head I suggest getting the planetaries no matter what machine you buy. Also note that the CR940 and CR960 are identicle machines except for the engine and the double returns on the CR960. The CR940 has a 7.5l Genesis engine while the CR960 has a 7.8l IVECO. In soybeans the 7.5l has no troubles cutting 30' at 6 mph. Also a note that NH is still talking about doing a rework on the cleaning shoe of the CR970 corn_soybean machines only. They are talking about changing the shoe geometry and a different cleaning fan. The only reason was that guys wanting to run 30-40% moisture shell corn couldn't get the grain off the shoe decent. I would make the point here that with a rotor combine you can run corn at 17% with less crackage than a cylinder combine running +25% moisture.