Combines Feeder house speed

Ilnewholland

As fast as speed as you can get out of it works best. Only time you may need to slow down is with a cornhead. Most times I don't even slow it down anymore. Ilnh

2rotorsrule

Actually, just yesterday we were picking up 2x22' millet windrows(just shy of 44ft.) and on our Cat lexion I slowed the feeder speed up to 350 rpm. 410 is normally what I run, but it seemed to feed better, and when I'd hit a slug it didn't hit the cylinder so hard....just seemed to make a big difference in feeding performance. I'm sure it would apply to a New Holland too(we were running side by side with our TR98)hope that helps. Point being certain condidions may have better results with slower feeder speed.

john_holland

You will want max speed so that you get the max sickle strokes so that you can drive as fast as possible. As a rule, it is best to run the feeder as slow as you can get away with, but since you want to drive fast, I assume, you will want the feeder fast. Slow feeder speed reduces wear on a lot of things, thrashes the crop up less before it hits the rotors, improves feeding by passing slugs more slowly, and probably some other things I don't know about. How did you come to have an 86 and a 98 if you don't mind me askingIJ

Nemotr

Thanks for the response. The 86 we've had for about 7 years. It's 2 wheel drive. last fall we needed rear assist and the 98 was local with rwa. Also a new(1_2 season use) 73c head came with it. We advertised the 86 but kept running it as harvest was really late. Took on some custom work with both machines and seemed to work good last year so haven't tried real hard to sell the 86. Not going to work as good this year with loooowwww yields. We are over combined but run a livestock operation too so extra capacity at the right time helps a lot. As some other post cover we moved the 25' 73c to the 86 and put a 30' 973 on the 98.

Nemotr

Yes its still for sale. You can give me a call if interested or have questions. 573 819 8220