New Holland New 9070

2rotorsrule

The 480 has all it wants with 36' in good crop. No doubt in my mind the 9070 will well outperform the 480. I spent 6 years in one 480 machine...its a good combine but progress is here. We want to try a honeybee...most guys around here prefer them. Out Cat has 36' Macdon...Macdon has good sickles and guards, but they are noisy, the canvas likes to jump track underneath the right side and tears up the fiberglass strip on the draper. The middle drum is crap. The had problems with the ones hooked up to Cat combines and didn't say anything till we went to the Western Canadian Farm Progress Show in Regina Sask. in June and they have changed their adapter twice since our 2001. Complete redesign...not once but twice. It just seems like their still trying to figure it out. The honeybee slopes down as it goes out for better viewing of the cutterbar and draper. Honeybee has better (also pivoting) guage wheels. Honeybee runs quieter, better sickle drive, and all the hydraulic hoses are outside bolted neatly to the back of the header. MacDon runs theirs inside the tube frame...when you start getting oil leaks on your header(you will after enough time) it makes it very difficult and time consuming to find. Those are some things, I will think of more later. MacDon behind the times...built too light. And just so everyone knows I have ran several Honeybee heads, just never owned one.

tobaboy

After running a 36ft. honeybee on a 480 for the past 6 years I have the opposite opinion. We had nothing but headaches from new, most of our downtime for the past 6 years has been with the header. Our neighbors run honeybee's on their machines and seem to like them, they haven't had the problems we've had. The 960 macdon we had previous to this one ran trouble free for 5 seasons and was used when we bought it. We got a new machine for the coming year and we went with a honeybee again. I'm hoping the new head is better then our old one.

2rotorsrule

I can honestly say 80% of our downtime was our Macdon head. oil leaks, problems with the drum...breaking the actual sickle bar, breaking stuff that attaches the sickle to the drive unit...stuff like that. I really hate the reel...it settles in the middle and you have to cycle it every few hours. Macdon told us to bleed it so we did....not any better, then they came down, they said its just "one of those things" whatever that means.....Not to mention again how freakin noisy this thing is.....the only good thing about picking up windrows is it gets very quiet to what you get used to with the Macdon on Good luck anyway, couple weeks and we'll be going on our spring wheat here in Northern South Dakota...Some winter wheat in the area will start early next week

Cutter

You are going to find that the New Holland is not as efficient to run as the lexion. Everything about a lexion's way of working equals "natural flow" from its wide feeder house to the metering capabilities of its APS system.

2rotorsrule

I guess we'll see...Our TR 98 would almost keep up with the lexion in wheat, and in tough beans our TR 98 would out combine the Cat, so I guess our 9070 should give it some stiff competition

tobaboy

How are the crops down there. I'm interested in hearing how you like the CR. We demoed one a few years back and it would keep up with the 480r. I thought that it could probably do more when its hot and dry, but less when its tough. They brought it out without any filler plates and that was a big mistake in wheat. Great cab. Good luck.

Rotorhead

Your telling me that a TR98 (not even a TR99) will combine as much as a 480IJ Then I guess you saying that a 2388, 9760 sts, TR99, and a 480 are all about the same sizeIJ I guess all the years of talk on this forum that a class 8 machine will almost replace a two sclass 6 machine are not factual. Foolish talkIJ

farmerman

What did you decide to go with this timeIJ I think you demoed a few machines. Just curious, and also wondering why. I think we have fairly similar conditions to yours. We had a very wet spring this year, and the germination was not very even and not very good. What is above the ground looks good, but I don't expect too many bumper crops. Time will tell. If you got a 590 I definitely want a harvest report!!!! Hope you have a good harvest.

tobaboy

Hey fella, crops around here look great. Conditions have been ideal so far, but its still a long way from the bin. We'll probably get into some winter wheat by the end of july, beginning of august. We went with a 590, we were sold on the 590 after talking to some guys we know south of us who ran two of them last year, they were very impressed with the machines. They replaced 3 CX 880s with 2 590s, they were doing upwards of 550acres_day with the two machines without a cart. They seem to have made many improvements with the 500 series, I'll let you know what I think in a few months, I'm anxious to get it in the field. Are you still running the 480IJ

farmerman

Happy to hear about your crops and conditions. We still have the 480. Very good in the canola and good in other crops. Hope it gets a good workout this fall. That 590 sounds impressive, but I will wait till I hear from you.

2rotorsrule

I guess you guys can think what you want...on our farm in our crops with our conditions, our TR 98 will take 30 feet to our 480's 36 feet at the same speed all day, and I guess to me, I call that close...some conditions with 480 gets out performed by the TR. TR is a very efficient solid machine you guys....You probably think someone doesn't know how to set it or something stupid, well I can tell you New Holland Support has been with our machine fine tuning it a few times, so have the CAT guys...in fact, the year we bought our CAT I got on after the Caterpillar company people got off from "fine tuning it" and I was able to change a few settings and bring down our dockage numbers, seive and rotor losses, and pick up over 1 mph...trust me, I may not be a "MASTER" at setting the machines, but I feel we do a good job...We get lots of capacity out of both machines, and both are good machines. We know what we're doing by now....Its not all Horsepower...just ask John Deere guys that. Think what you want, this is how it is on our farm.....Cat will take 6 more feet than the TR at same speed...Cat will go faster with a bigger header in soybeans, unless the beans are tough and green, then the TR will out combine the lexion. The lexion harvests way more corn per hour, but the TR will do a cleaner job. TR has a little less damage in field, forage, and chick peas......and thats how it is

2rotorsrule

I toured the factory a month ago and learned some neat things. For example, on my new 9070, they are installing "Trailing Bars" If you are not familiar with them, they are basically 3 rows, with 3 extra rasp bars installed apart from the factory rasp bars...also with the rethreshers that will help.. One more thing, if a machine is ordered as a small grain machine, the concave is adjusted for a clearance of 5 mm concave to rasp bar. if its ordered as a corn bean machine, its set factory at 25 mm. When coverting a corn_bean machine to small grain, you don't just install different concaves...the first time its done the dealership should tighten the clearance up. Between all that, and the fact you can change the concave wedge with one or two bolts per side, there should be no need for any other awning plates....the do recommend the beater cover plate installed...reduces MOG significantly. Otherwise, our machine has not arrived yet....I go get the 42 foot Honeybee Wed. or Thurs. Crops look good. Oats looks really nice and corn is doing well. Wheat expected 35-50 bu. spring wheat and 40-60+ bu. summerfallow wheat.