Combines dakota

dakota

In Reply to: dakota posted by mit9750 on July 29, 2002 at 19:07:46: The 470s are running great and I enjoy every day operating them. Unfortunately the wheat acres are very short this year and we're not getting as many cutting days as we wish. All the monitors are dead on and I love to play with the adjustments from the cab while watching my sample and my return. I am excited about getting into corn. The few parts we needed so far, have been on time in the field, thanks to the effort of individual persons. In general there is still room for improvement here. If you have 2002 model Deeres, how are the new electronic enginesIJ Do you clean your radiator 8 times a day, like some are reporting. Have you replaced any water pumps yetIJ Did you set a machine on fire because they're running so much hotterIJ

mit9750

ours our 2001. ya i clean my rad abit more than the 9610, but i think its because the machine is shorter and the chaff and stuff goes straight up to where the bigger engine (which sucks more air in),hence having to clean rad and air filter abit more often,. That really don't bother me, at least its not getting into engine. no fires yet and engine temp has been excellent. have been in the 470 and seems alittle like a CTS w_ more H.P. and other things. do like the way the sieves work though and the fact you can see your return on the right side.Do you already have the corn grates for your rotorsIJ kinda a pain to change,but no more than changing concaves I guess. I'm thinking of installing a pre cleaner out of a 9650 CTS in my 9750 so I can close it down a bit. and also checking out the electric sieve adj kit. glad your getting along ok. just remember to be safe and also, all combines cut the wheat,ya buy what ya git parts for.

hunter

I too find Dakota - helpful - knowlegable - and a good information source. best to him, bill koob

dakota

Thank you fellows. Just don't give me too much credit. I still don't know nearly enough and try to improve everyday. I too find a lot of information for myself on this site, like the birotor book. Thanks to everybody else, too.

Chuckm

Yes, I agree also. The STS harvest summary was just a piece of work. Very factual with little bias.

silverluv

Dakota, what is your opinion on gleanersIJ I never have run a Cat and have never seen one in the field. I've seen them at shows and dealers. They look kind of complex compared to the simplicity of the R62 and R72. We have two R62's and one R72 and would not look at anything else.

dakota

I am sorry to tell you, that I don't have any Gleaner experience and little knowlege about them. You sure don't see much when you open the side panel on a silver one. But that can be due to the very dark paint there. I wish the lexions would have a brighter color there, too. I was always wondering about some tight spots on the Gleaner. They have the narrowest feeder house and the narrowest straw discharge. But they sure put as much stuff trough an R72 as they put through a 9750STS. The Cummins engine causes controversies in times. I don't know how similar the Gleaner Cummins is to the CASE Cummins. We have a couple N14s in our trucks and I am looking forward for the day they leave, always something wrong. From talking to people I had the impression that the Gleaner had more downtime than, I'd say a 9610JD. But the STS now days surely has more downtime than a 9610 ever had.

Ed_Boysun

As regards to the narrow feeder house: If you check the speed that the feeder chains on a silver one run, you will see that you can get just as much stuff through a narrow opening if you move it faster. The biggest benefit from the narrow opening is the fact that the crop mat enters and moves through the rotor at the same width all times. The wide feeder houses that feed an axial flow rotor have to either twist or fold the mat in order to get it into the rotor that is always narrower than the feeder-house. Either solution can result in roping, which is the biggest bugaboo of an axial flow; and the real reason for the tines on the green ones.

dakota

I understand the reasons for their design, but runing things twice as fast quadruples the wear in my opinion.