Combines questions for tobaboy

tobaboy

We've only done Crested Wheatgrass with it, but so far it seems to have performed quite well. Crested can be extremetly hard to thresh and like any grasseed, it can be a challenge to separate...our cleanout is around 10%, not sure if you consider that good or bad. Talked to others who have done perennial ryegrass and smooth brome...no complaints. In fact with the perennial rye, the lexion book settings are supposed to be right on. I'm pretty sure a tracked machine would bring around 25-30K Cdn. brand new, not positive though, never priced one out as we have no need for one up here in Canada. 100,000 is an incredible deal for a 2001 485, assuming the hours are reasonable, I'd be all over that deal if I were you. These machines don't wear that bad and if you could pick one up for 100K, even if you had to replace some worn out parts, thats still a lot of combine for a small price. What would you be threshing with itIJ

cat_man

thanks for the response, this board has been quiet for a while. yes, the hours were around 600. there was also a 480 with 330 hrs on it for 99,000 i have been looking at. i know that tracks would be nice, cause we live in a real wet area of northern mn, but not sure if worth the extra $$$$. how bout those cebis monitors, are they necessary, and what do they costIJ and what else should i look atIJ we raise wht, canola, soybeans, kentucky bluegrass, timothy, ryegrass, and sunflowers. i am not sure i want a corn machine, but i guess wear parts can be replaced, i just hear how big these machines are, and like talking to the owners first hand. the only problem is, that we are sitting on 3 tr new hollands. you can't give them away around here. any demand for them up thereIJ you are in s.w. manitoba, rightIJIJ thanks again

cat_man

thanks for the response, this board has been quiet for a while. yes, the hours were around 600. there was also a 480 with 330 hrs on it for 99,000 i have been looking at. i know that tracks would be nice, cause we live in a real wet area of northern mn, but not sure if worth the extra $$$$. how bout those cebis monitors, are they necessary, and what do they costIJ and what else should i look atIJ we raise wht, canola, soybeans, kentucky bluegrass, timothy, ryegrass, and sunflowers. i am not sure i want a corn machine, but i guess wear parts can be replaced, i just hear how big these machines are, and like talking to the owners first hand. the only problem is, that we are sitting on 3 tr new hollands. you can't give them away around here. any demand for them up thereIJ you are in s.w. manitoba, rightIJIJ thanks again

tobaboy

I can't believe you can get a machine that cheap down there, did the dealer shut down or somethingIJ A 1000hr machine just went on ironplanet with head for 131k. Not sure what the difference is with a corn machine, but if it just means changing the concave then thats not a big deal. As far as hours go, we just traded our 480 on a 480R, it had about 750 sep. hrs. I wouldn't have been afraid of keeping the machine, but 0% for two years was hard to pass up. What I'm saying I guess is that 600 or 300hrs. is peanuts. Just make sure the change-ups were done on the feeder house slip-slutch, the air filter, and the wide spread chopper if they have it. The lexions are incredible in canola, as long as you have the rotor filler plates in. Our best day in canola so far was 220a at 50bu_acre, took us about 12 hours, we don't have a cart. Our TX would be lucky to do 100a of 50bus. canola in that time, the R70 was even worse...feeder house was way to small on it, always plugging up, not to mention breaking down! You won't see as big of an advantage over your TRs in cereals, although it will still likely do 50% more when dry and probably 2X if its tough. Where I'm from we're often dealing with tough conditions, so the lexions really shine. As far as your TRs go, I can't help you out. They can't give them away up here either, the only thing thats harder to sell than a TR is a gleaner. Axial-flows and deere's are much easier to get rid of. Have you considered trading your 3 TRs off on a couple of 970s, that might work better for your situation, unless you work in a lot of tough conditions, a CR 970 should keep right up with a 480.

cat_man

he really isn't much of a dealer. havn't looked at the 485 yet, but yes, it seems like a heckuva deal for around 100,000. you mentioned the trading for a cr 970, but then they are double the money of a used 480. i have also seens a 480 with 700 hrs for about 80,000. it seems to have most options: high perf chopper, auto reel, auto contour, cebis, ect. i thought that is a good price too. just can't decide how much that tracks are worth to us, since it gets REAllY wet here sometimes. thanks again, by the way, what are you doing on the computer at 4:22 a.mIJIJIJIJIJIJ

Farm_Kid2

I think the tracks are one of the best features of the Cat. If I were in the market for one, I would easily pay $20K US for the tracks over single tires. However, I've heard they can be kind of rough (vibrate) on hard ground and going down the road. Still a good way to go in my opinion.

tobaboy

I forgot to comment on CEBIS, its definitely a nice option, but our first machine just had IMO as does our 480R, its simpler and works just fine, much cheaper too. If your into yield mapping though, the IMO does you no good. I was wondering if you might comment on the time of my post, I'm in Kenya at the moment, which is 8 hours ahead...explain things!IJ

cat_man

it turns out that 485 i was talking about was a 1998 model with low hours. i think the price may be even closer to 85 or 90,000 before it's done. i think it has been discussed before, but how many updates were made between 98 and '01IJIJ how's the weather over where you areIJ it is a heat wave here. only -20F tonight. later

dakota

Corn machines have the fillerplates in the cylinder, different rotor grates and should have the long tooth chaffers. They should give the small grain chaffer and the small grain rotor grates with it. Wear is not so bad in corn if the machine has the high wear package. A custom cutter in MN put tracks on his Axial flow a couple of years ago and paied 35 grand, if I remember right. There is a guy here on this board who wants to get out of his last year lease on a 485 real bad. It comes with a 36' MacDon and a 12row corn head, full warranty and a low hourly rate.

tobaboy

not sure on updates from '98 to '01, but I know in the three seasons we ran our 480 they ran updates on the feederhouse slipclutch, widespread chopper (2X) and the air filter. I'm in Nairobi (elevation 5000ft.),so the weather couldn't be better. It's always sunny, its warm, but not hot and the humidity is low!