Combines Bi Rotor

ImpartialOne

www.geocities.com_agmachinery, then click the "prototypes" section. There it is!

Green_Envy

Already have the book but thanks anyway. I bought it off of ebay last year. Great book.

BigApple172

I'm interested to learn more about this combine class you're taking. I'm want to learn as much as possible about combines and would appreciate if you could direct me to any other great websites and reading material. Thank you. BigApple172

Green_Envy

I am taking this class in college at MSUN in Havre MT. It is AGMT 205 Introduction to Grain Harvesting. I have operated and been around combines before but still have learned some things in this class. We started out learning the 5 steps of combine operation. Then we went over the different combines out on the market today. We also have studied combine adjustment trouble shooting and disadvantage_advantages between conventionl and rotary combines. Right now we are studying basic operations of the hydraulic systems on a 9600. We also are looking at how power is transfered to all of the components in a 2388. During this time for lab, we have worked on a Gleaner l and a JD 7700. Yesterday for lab we went to the local Case IH dealer that rebuilds Case combines. I learned what goes on when over hauling a Case IH rotor and how much it costs. The books we use are put out by JD. This class is pretty fun because some of the guys are Case people, some like me are JD, and the instructor is a Gleaner guy. We are always trading friendly jabs at each other. There is also a AGMT Advanced Grain Harvesting Equipment which gets more deeply into diagnosis and repair of the hydraulics, electonics, and other components of a combine. I don't know of any other websites on combines that are good as this one. You could go to the JD, Case, NH, AGCO, and lexion websites and read about their combines.

Farm_Kid2

Do me a favor and ask about the concept of the St. John rotor. I'm mostly interested in the Case version, and would like to hear what the instructor or other students think of this concept. It makes a lot of sense to me, and I will be running one this summer, but I would like to hear what "academia" thinks. In a nut shell, this is Gleaner style bars on a longitudinal rotor. Thanks, Mike

swede

I can vouch for the St John rotor in an axial flow.You ,I believe are handling different crops than I [corn_soybeans] in the midwest,but it is a very smooth running rotor.In my opinion,all standard rotors running stemmy tough crops should be modified to the SJ type.I kept my SJ rotor when I traded combines,and gave the spec rotor that was in the 'new' one to someone else.I am familiar with the spec rotor,but haven't used one.Good luck with yours.Now,if we can get the front of the rotor modernized.

Farm_Kid2

We are mainly wheat, with some soybeans and milo. Seems like the milo often has green leaves the beans often have green stems. We have been running the specialty rotor for a long time, and can make it work, but expect the SJ rotor to work better. What crops are you inIJ What rotor speed and what concave clearance do you useIJ What type of concave, large or small wireIJ

swede

Midwest corn and soybeans. Rotor speed around 800 on beans.Probably don't need to run that fast,but I was trying to cut up the bean stems in the rotor cage[no chopper].Have added sickle sections in the grate area,and then bought a shark-tooth shredder last year. Corn speed around 350. You will need to change the clearance indicator 'chart' on the side of the separator since the new rasp bars stick out so much further on the SJ set-up.You will have to rezero it. The concaves I have been using are the round bar concaves from Harvest Services.I put them in to not retard so much the flow of tough bean stems.I put all this stuff in a 1440 to get as much capacity as I could without having so much more invested in a much more expensive machine.I improved things to the point that I could handle a 20' head at a good speed.Of course that varied with different bean varieties and conditions.JD and New Holland both use round bar concaves on their C-B machines. Finally though had to break down and get a machine with a chopper.Just can't hardly deal with so much bean residue in the spring without more tillage.

farmboy

Green Envy I did a paper on the Bi-rotor a couple years ago for a class here at Iowa State University. At the university library they had a film about the bi-rotor and it showed how the rotor and everything else in the combine worked and had some footage of it out in the field. It was a very good video and exactly what you need. But I don't think it can be taken out of the library. IJIJ I wish I could help. I still have my paper about it, could send it to you to help you out. let me know. Good luck!