Combines 485R

land_Surfer

Even if 20ft is your preference, you could not keep a 485 combine full enough with such a narrow header to cost justify a combine of that magitude. At a bare a minimum, you would not want to go smaller than an 8 row corn head (still going to have to travel at excessive speeds to keep the combine full) and a 30' platform. The Class eight sized lexion 480 and 485's are suited for large operations _ large applications (12 row corn heads, 30' + platforms). If a lexion is what you want and 20' is the width you require, then I would suggest looking mofe towards a class five lexion 450.

nutcrusher

Sounds to me like maybe you need to get yourself on down to the old folks home and relax grandpa. Maybe you ought to take your old 6600 with you. O maybe the junk yard ,whatever you do with obselete people and machines.

olefarmer

Now listen here sonny. I just came here for some advice, and now you give me the disrespect of insulting me and my equipment. I can't help I have old machinery, see my wife had been battling cancer for about twenty years. With the huge medical expenses and low crop prices I was lucky to afford the worn out 6600. And with her passing I am now able to buy this combine with the life insurance policy she had purchased without me knowing. You kids don't respect love and hard work like us older generation, and I loved that woman with all my heart. You kids need to see what I have seen fighting on the front lines for some little snot nosed kids freedom who doesn't give me a bit of recognition. The new generation has been ruined, they think once you hit 85 you ought to be just caged up just because you drive slower and talk about the old days. Sorry folks just this guy needs to hear about it.

This guy is yanking your chain land Surfer. All of these post are being made by the same guy(pigman). I do however find his beaver posts amusing,it's the grade school humor I never outgrew.

pigman

No they are not all me. WOuld it surprise you that more than one person on here has a sene of humorIJ Did you all miss meIJ

olefarmer

Well I'm kinda already committed to the 485 I might have to look towards other options. Whats the narrowest head I could put on it.

farmert

their right a 485 is a quite a step up from a 6600 but if you bought it right what the heck. one way or the other it will work out.

Rockpicker

In my experience, a combine doesn't peform very well unless it is being used at or near is maximum capacity. I don't own a 485 but from what I seen and heard about them is that it will be almost impossible to keep it full with a 20ft header. I would get a header trailer because you would be just wasting your time, machine, and money trying to run a 20ft header.

OntMX285

I think if you are only looking to use a 20' head you might want to consider a CAT 450 or 460 instead of buying the biggest CAT on the market. As it's been stated earlier in this post, there is just no way you could expect the machine to perform at it's potential with a 20' head. One point to consider...after you've spent this kind of money on a combine is it really going to break you to spend another $1,500 on a used header trailer IJ I also can't believe the dealer didn't advise you of this when you purchased.....doesn't seem they had your best intentions in mind to me which makes me question how they will treat you in the future with parts_service_warranty. Anyhow...that's just my opinion, good luck with your machine and my condolences regarding your wife.

olefarmer

Thank you everyone for your replys, this kinda support is what makes this site great. When I purchased this the dealer assured me that I could use a 20' head in front of it. And about the header trailer, with me being 85 I don't have to tell you how hard it is to get in and out of a combine. And I don't want to have to get out to take on and off the head to switch fields or to bring it in at night. I wish I would have consulted this room before my purchase, because now it seems like I have got a bigger combine than expected. And with my dealer sorta far away I don't want to bad mouth them since I will probaly have this one a while, and will eventually have to deal with them on warranty or something. Once again thank you for your advice and your support during my loss.