Combines Getting New Machines

land_Surfer

Class size for class size - Deere, CIH, NH and lexion combines are all price listed relatively the same, or within 1-2%. The machine most comparable to the 9750 and_or 9760 STS's is the 470R (475R is the tracked model). The 470R is matched at horsepower with the STS (340hp) and has a larger overall cleaning system and a much greater total threshing and separating area. Also, the feature that makes any lexion is its APS system (Acclerated Pre-Separation System). This system allows the lexion to operate in extreme conditions that most other combines struggle, not to mention preserves grain quality by separating easy to thresh grain from the tough material, keeping it away from the main threshing cylinder for overall improved grain quality. It also buffers and_or separates out returned grain keeping it from the rasp bars. Check out the lexion website for more information (www.claasomaha.com). Deere also compares the 470R to their 9760STS ont heir site too.

turbochevy03

Thanks for the help. I have another question, how are the heads. Also how is it to find parts for the machines.

FarmBuddy

Having spent a lot of time running both the Cat and Deere, the Cat has the better harvesting performance mainly due to the APS threshing system, hydraulic relief concaves, up front tailings return, greater centrifugal force in the separation area, simple chopper _ windrow conversion and more effective header float system. CEBIS also provides better monitoring and more engine performance info such as % engine loading and more accurate grain loss reporting. The JD probably has a better access ladder and wider buddy seat. JD auger swing on the hydro handle is also better than the dash mounted lexion auger swing when topping off trucks and grain carts. JD parts availability may be better with their close dealer locations, but that varies with your actual location at the time of breakdowns, or accidental damage.

gman

Farmduddy, I enjoy reading your posts, but with all your knowledge and abilty to point out the machines flaws why dont you go build your own. Its just that all your posts contain something about how other brands have thier problems and sure enough you got solutions. I just bet you get job offers left and right. Its just getting very old, suddenly old farmduddy gets out of storage and we have to hear about how he can single handed change harvesting as we know it.

FarmBuddy

gman, as past Product and Development manager for Agri-Technology we did build our own ideal combine from the ground up. It is better known as the XBR2 Bi-Rotor combine that we built near Winfield Kansas in 1993 and tested _ demoed to manufactures in 1994 and early 1995. It was only publicly displayed at the US Custom Harvester convention in lawrence, KS in Dec 1994. Clearly, among the 17 patents there were many concepts and performance features that would have enhanced combine performance, and JD realized this. Rotating (Bi-Rotor)concave providing 360 degrees of separation, higher Fc, Power unplugging, dynamic vane angles, etc. Dual Path _ Triple option grain handling system that circulated around the chassis and eliminated many grain damaging augers, sprockets and bearings. lateral distributor grain preparation with side hill compensation. Conveyor unloading system w_ variable speed Joystick steering, instead of view obstructing steering wheel. Full tracks for floatation and narrow transport with 120" guage width. (Half tracks like Cat lexion are also a good or better alternative for several reasons that take models to explain.) Versatile Power System configuration to Plant, Spray and Harvest with the same base unit. Overhead dual rotary screen air intake system. Slide out threshing module for easier clean-out. Centerline header drive, knife drive and auger drive _ support. Integrated transport trailer _ hitch. In hindsight, the biggest mistake we made was believing John Deere's stories that they were "interested in building a rotary combine for better grain quality, with fewer parts, perhaps even in Kansas, and with a better floatation like tracks". They bought the patents in July 1995. More details read the book: Dream Reaper by Craig Canine, or see the cutaway in Sept 1994 Farm Journal, or visit my booth and display trailer at the local county fair. I've enjoyed working on combines for John Deere Harvester Works, Claas of America, Caterpillar and Machinerylink during my career, but the Bi-Rotor combine project was most challenging, most fun, but most frustrating as I look back ten years later. Combine options could have been better for farmers if we had followed a different path. This route is just taking longer but with some help from my Farm Buddy fiends, we'll get there eventually. I might consider showing more photos, test data and video at your winter farmer meeting. It is worth knowing what could have been available by now. Sincerely, Alan VanNahmen, on behalf of Mark and Ralph and the Bi-Rotor team.

FarmBuddy

gman, I often use slow, rainy or winter time to view and sometimes respond to comments on this typically good forum. Please keep your comments constructive. First you say you "enjoy reading my post" then in the next paragraph, you have complained about them. It is your choice. If you do not click on a post, including mine, you will not read or have need to complain about them. PS, gman, please be aware that legal misfortune may result from your intential misspellings and slanderous libel. Your identity is traceable.

gman

I do not seem to find in my statement where I said anything slanderous. For one all I stated was that you have the knowledge and ability to point out manufacturers flaws. Also I complimented on you probably having lots of job offers. And third I don't know what country you are from, but here in the U.S. we have a little thing called freedom of speech. So I can not see where you can call my statements slanderous unless you do not have knowledge and the ability to discover flaws. And I have the freedom to post my opinions on this forum, and my opinion is and I imagine others have the same, is that it get old when someone posts on here saying how everyones designs are bad. And also you also have the right not to click on my posts.

FarmBuddy

gman, Thanks for the clarification. (I think you intentionally created the misspelling in your earlier post. You may have hit a "d" instead of a "B" once, but not twice without trying. That tripped my trigger.) Also, I think everyone would agree that every combine has its strengths and also areas where they could be improved and are improved in subsequent versions. We felt the same about the XBR2 and we would have made several significant changes to the XBR3 production unit that we had in the production plans. For example, the 110" long x 30" wide full tracks were compact, stable and performed fine on flat lands and rolling hills, but frankly, they didn't perform as well as pivoting half tracks with rear steering wheels when crossing down through a ditch or over the top of a terrace. On the other hand, the zero turning radius provided extremely tight maneuverability when needed on end rows and close quarters. But, no one likes the berms created by a pivot turn. Hense, a lexion with half tracks evolved from the Claas 228CS - MTS full tracked combines that were built in 1990-1992.

bigpower

Allan, do you ever plan on bringing your travelling road show as far north as CanadaIJ If not how far north in the US states will you beIJ Do you think Deere is working at incorporating some of the XBR ideas they obtained into an STS replacement now that it is obvious they are dead last in the technology race behaind Claas, CNH, and maybe even AGCOIJ I always have enjoyed your postings, as have many of us, keep up the good work.