Combines What s a 1999 480 worthIJ Tobaboy

land_Surfer

Do you plan to replace it with another lexionIJ I actually don't think you are even going to get an "accurate estimation" of its value on any of these public talk forums. There is way too much animosity for any such talk (and product) when the talk isn't geared towards the volume selling products and their manufacturers.

Farmerman

I am thinking of buying this machine. How many hours can I expect to get out of a machine like this before it gets to the point where major items begin to wear outIJ

tobaboy

On a CAT lot something like that might sell for around 180k CDN$, not really sure about the value of used CATS, I know this past winter when we dealt they depreciated our 2001 480 against a new machine at about $120-125_ sep hour pretty fair really. The local Deere dealer has a couple of 470s priced very attractively, somebody told me about 70k each, a real steal if its true. If you happened to purchase an older 480, I would consider installing the redekop wide spread chopper...if you ask nicely I might even sell you our old one! I just got back from the west coast, most of the crops across saskatchewan seemed a few weeks behind normal as well. We finished seeding in good time in spite of the rain and snow, but may and june were ridiculously cold causing many of the crops to lag far behind normal development for this time of year. I hope we don't get an early frost otherwise there will be a lot of frozen canola, not to mention wheat, oats and beans. Other then the lateness, the crops really look good, probably bumper if it would dry up a bit, I'm a little concerned about fusarium at the moment. What part of alberta are you fromIJ Is your brother farming near CarmanIJ

Farmerman

Thanks for your input. My brother that just got married in Carman is actually studying for vet in Saskatoon (one year to go). The brother that bought the 525 hr. 470 this spring farms with me in N. Central AB., about 150 km northwest of Edmonton. How many hours are on those 470s out your way--sounds like a very good deal. How many hours can a guy expect to get from a 470_480 before having to repair_replace major itemsIJ

tobaboy

Apparently the 470s have about 800 hrs on them, they are 2001s I believe. I was way off on the price, apparently they are listed at 160k, this would make a lot more sense. Not sure how many hours you can expect to get, we only had about 750 sep hrs on ours when we traded it, up until then we hadn't had any major problems. That is a question worth posting.

Farmerman

Thanks a lot. I thought that sounded kind of cheap. I will probably run the 9650 STS this fall and see what the difference is between the two colors, unless I find a low houred Cat. We are no tilling and the cat will probably work better if we want to drop straw for baling. The chaff spreaders can be operated while dropping straw I presume. What size header are you running and what do you do with the strawIJ

tobaboy

We run a 36ft. header and chop most of our straw. This year we're trying out that new MAV chopper from redekop, I look forward to seeing what it can do. Yes, the chaff spreaders can be operated while dropping straw.

Farmerman

That MAV looks like a good concept. let us know how well it works. The factory chopper on the 470 should be good enough with a 25 ft. header.