Combines challenger

tobaboy

I've heard from a dealer who sells both that the class 7 challenger won't do what a 470r will do, keep in mind that we're in a region that frequently experiences tough conditions at harvest.

saskfmr

tobaboy, do you run a cat470r, if you do, how is it compared to other class 7 combines. dealer is trying to get us into a 470r. we are also looking at a r75 gleaner.

tobaboy

We run a 480r, if you can justify it I would go with the 480, its much bigger then the 470r and R75 gleaner. You'd likely get quite a bit more capacity out of the 470r in canola simply because of the feeder house; less in dry cereals, more in tough conditions, probably not much difference in the end. Other things to consider would ofcourse be dealer support and the questionable reliability of the gleaners, we ran them in the past, N6, then R70, biggest pieces of junk ever, no kidding, perhaps the new ones are more reliableIJ large farm about an hour from where I live traded their two r72s off on two 485s a few years back, first season they ran one 485 with their gleaners, they found that it could double the 72s in canola and do about 25% more in wheat. What have you ran in the pastIJ There is always that learning curve, if you've ran gleaners in the past and been happy with them then maybe you should go with the R75. Have you demoed the 470rIJ

saskfmr

tobaboy, thanks for the info,looked pretty close at a 480 also a 9790 massey, we crop over 1200 acres of canola and other oilseeds and are not impressed with the gleaner in them at all- no capacity. demoed a 9790 last year , was really impressed. would really like to demo a cat before a guys dives in. how do you find the cat in switching from crop to crop. does it take lots of time to change concaves and ranges. we usally combine peas all day and then go to wheat or canola in the evening.

saskfmr

tobaboy, thanks for the info,looked pretty close at a 480 also a 9790 massey, we crop over 1200 acres of canola and other oilseeds and are not impressed with the gleaner in them at all- no capacity. demoed a 9790 last year , was really impressed. would really like to demo a cat before a guys dives in. how do you find the cat in switching from crop to crop. does it take lots of time to change concaves and ranges. we usally combine peas all day and then go to wheat or canola in the evening.

tobaboy

All your settings can be done from the cab, also you are able to save them to be recalled later. Don't need to change concaves between the crops you grow, takes a few minutes to change ranges on the cylinder (two bolts),only thing you would need to do that takes any time is throw in the rotor filler plates for canola, this takes about 15-20 minutes once you know what your doing. Make sure you demo before buying, like I hinted at before, if you are a gleaner owner you will be very impressed in canola, presently surprised in pulses, impressed in tough, heavy-strawed cereals and disappointed in dry wheat. You may also be left wondering why it never breaks down, which is ofcourse a good thing! I know when we finally switched to new holland from gleaner it took a little while for us to learn to relax in the cab and not fear the inevitable ie. a broken shaft, belt, chain etc. We went to the lexion simply for capacity, we've never regretted it, last fall with our 480 we averaged close to 18a_sep hour, nearly double what we used to do with our TX66. How many acres do you combine and have you looked at a CR or STS, I've heard good things about both.

boetboer

I'm just curious...one hectare is about 2.5 acres, rightIJ So if you need to combine 1200 acres, thats about 500 hectaresIJ Do you also do custom workIJ If you don't, I'd say that a lexion 480 is huge overkill. But that's just an opinion, of course I don't know all your details.

justincase

Why would you buy anything besides a deere or a caseIJ Adult answers only please.