Combines 485 grain loss problems

tobaboy

Is your concave levelIJ Depending on header size, you should be getting a lot more capacity out of that machine. We can do 70bus_a winter wheat at 3.5-4mph, with very little in the way of losses. We can actually go a little faster when conditions are tough.

Robert

To the best of my knowledge it is. '03 wheat harvest claas techs were out and measured the clearances of concave_cylinder at the 4'oclock and 7'oclock positions as you face the side of the machine. At these positions I think the book asks you to have tolerances of 8mm. That was checked and adjusted to those specs. It is something to check again though. I've also heard that the concaves can get a bow in them. Have you seen thisIJ

John_W

Just an observation, but I think you need to look at the threshing section first. You must not be getting enough grain separated at the beaters and concaves. Maybe you need to do a better job of threshing or maybe make it easier for grain to get out of the concaves. Most of the grain should be separated by the time the MOG gets to the rotors.

tobaboy

Haven't seen a bow, but mechanics have mentioned it to me in the past. If your experiencing rotor losses then I think you need to be threshing it more aggressively. Do you have the right concaves inIJ How about the rotor filler plates, have you removed all of themIJ Keep us updated.

Robert

Yes, I do have the correct concaves in place. I did have blanking plates on the front three sections of the rotors(i.e. half the rotor then). I thought that this might be part of the problem. And, I'm sure it may have helped a little but there is no way I would have gained 1.5mph in the field by taking them out. I put them in prior to harvest thinking I might be in some dry conditions. As mentioned, it didn't seem to matter how hard I threshed the grain. The settings only let you go to 8mm on the concave. I tried speeding the cylinder up to--if I remember correctly--900+ rpm. Thanks for you help.

Mr_Ed

It sounds to me as if you are being too rough with the crop. If you overthresh the crop the straw will break up and block up the concaves. You should have the 12mm concaves in the front and have the de-awners out.ie the lever down. Open the concave 1mm at a time untill you are not threshing the crop correctly. Then close the concave back 1mm so that you are. Run the drum at about 750rpm. Remove the intensive threshing unit. Start with rotors at 750 and see what happens. Adjust to suit losses. The aim is to keep the straw intact with the chaff still on the ear and only the grain removed