Combines 585r

Big_Truck

If you have one planter_seeder that can plant_seed 7000 acres in 10 days running 24 hours_day,should you not then have a combine that can harvest approx the same acreage of crop running 24 hours_day in a slightly longer timescaleIJ The 512hp Claas_Cat 585R is the only machine that has the performance in tough conditions that will do the job right, period. The demo drivers of the NH CR970,JD 9860STS,MF_Challenger 9790,Case 8010 and Gleaner R75 will be eating the dust of this awesome beast at "Husker Harvest Days" without it even breaking sweat!!!!

2rotorsrule

Every Combine at Husker Harvest is told to run 3.5 mph for safety reasons...those who go faster are just showing off like little kids. You don't think any of those combines could go fasterIJ Cat had to do something extreme...before Husker harvest Cat was getting a pretty bad rap. I guess they thought hotfooting it last year would make everyone think their combine is the only one that can go fast. Doesn't impress me. We run a 480 with a 12 row in 200+ bushel corn, and yes you can go pretty fast, but to think any other combine on the market couldn't keep up would be false.

land_Surfer

I disagree. Honestly, what fun is it to see all combines operate at the same speedIJ Each brand and model combine has its own unique capacities and performance characteristics. Therefore, in order to highlight those unique attributes, each combine has to be operated accordingly. Also, what everyone seems to forget is, all combines require to be operating at full capacity (i.e. steady state) to fully optimize its systems. All sorts of problems arise if a combine is not maintained at steady state during its operation (loss, damage, etc). Why folks stand right at the starting line and make judgement there is beyond me. Farm Progress should instruct the crowd to stand mid-way to get full advantage. According to Farm Progress demonstration rules, harvest demos are to be conducted no faster than 5.5 mph (give or take a couple tenths for the fun of it).

Rooster

I agree with land Surfer. If all combines ran at the same speed how could you determine which one has the better "mouse trapIJ" I also know that the demo speeds are atleast 5 to 6 mph. A perfect example of what land Surfer is talking about is when the Cat or another larger combine, set to run the actual corn yields at their loaded operating speed and then catch up to the Massey or Gleaner that isn't able to run half the set max demo speed. What happens when they catch the Massey running so slow, the volume entering the machine (the volume which the combines were set to) drastically diminishes, making the other combine do almost as poorly a job as the AGCO combines. Harvest demos should be a survival of the fittest. If you can't hang with the big dog's, stay on the porch (or invest in RandD). I can't wait to see a new lexion at Husker just spank the competion like it did last year, and the year before..........

Big_Truck

I have seen the beast running in England cutting 180bu_acre winter wheat with 3.5ton of straw to the acre as well.Running with a 30f Claas head and tracks it was cutting in the regiod of 70_80 ton_hour.When you see it run at H,H,d's be prepared for "Shock + Awe" agricultural style!!!!

2rotorsrule

So you guys are telling me All combines at Husker run Max. capacity matched with max. quality sample...I don't think so...think what you guys want, we're all entitled to our opinion, and mine is, if you think the Cat_Claas would "shock and Awe" the CR 970 or the big MF or Case 8010, I think you'd be suprised at their ability to keep up and do just as good of job given the right operators. My opinion

canuck

Could anybody tell me when Husker Harvest days are . And what state its in.Thanks

land_Surfer

The lexion does every year. I have been to quite a few shows since lexion came out and I have yet to see another machine do any better and do it at the same capacity as the lexion. So much so that I bought one on testimony alone.

Harvester

Yes, that's exactly what we're saying, and all you need to do to convince yourself of this is to get to the show a day or two early to see the manufacturers doing test-runs to set their machines. They're not just tweaking them 'good enough' to run the claimed 3.5 mph with respectable performance. They're pulling out all the stops to do everything they can to make sure these machines perform at their design limits, and when they do, whether at a farm show or simply two or more different makes running in the same field together, the lexion will certainly shine. If you want to talk Husker Harvest Days last fall, my green-shorted neighbor and I were there too and the lexion was the only machine running at or above 4.5 mph with good performance. Even he had to admit defeat. The STS was leaving a golden path of corn behind it when it tried matching the lexion, and the 8010 and CR NH, while not as bad as the awful STS, still threw far too much over when trying to match the capacity of the lexion. Back up in ND, I have had the opportunity to run all the units you mention, the CR, 8010, 9790, R75, 9750_9860STS, and trust me, they are all quickly humbled when in the field with the lexion. Every machine has a limiting factor in its design; it is thus logical that each machine will reach its limiting factor at a different point in capacity. Moral of the story is: Not all combines are created equal.

2rotorsrule

thats funny, the first two years that we were at the show, and the lexion was there I didn't even get to see it in the field. There were always mechanics working on it....something about the first year it wouldn't unload, and the second year it was throwing full cobs of corn out the back, and thats not what I heard thats what I saw. We currently own a 480, and we were going to research combines also. let me tell you, it was very disappointing driving 1100 miles round trip to see a combine sit on the sidelines.....two years IN A ROW! What kind of testamony is thatIJ The only reason we went with a lexion is New Holland took longer than expected to come out with that they were supposed to. Our next combine purchase will be the New Holland. I'm glad you're happy with your lexion, we like ours too; we also know there are a lot of good combines out there, and we have reasons for prefering the New Hollands. We feel capacity is very close for one, and the Cr's are simpler than the Cat.