Combines looked at 590 today

Spike

Hey Greenbean, did you get a look at the engine. What type and how many ponysIJ

tobaboy

Apparently its a CAT engine and it bulges out at 515hp. I was looking at a 580r this week, clean grain elevator is much bigger, as is the rear axle, cab and hopper. Hopper still folds down, but when its out it looks like a hopper topper. It unloads faster as well, I think maybe 3.3bu_sec or something like that. Single point hook-up on the header, but the headers haven't changed yet, for this year they are having to plumb in the old style hook-up. The cleaning system has been re-designed, I guess they are saying the 580r will out do the 480 by 10-15% even though it runs on the narrower 470 body, the cleaning system overhaul allows them to achieve this. A few 580s have been sold up here already, 590s won't be available until next fall. The chopper looks like the new MAV chopper without the chaff spreading option ie. they are still running twin spreaders. Air filter has been plumbed further back. Thats all I can remember.

CAT_ilac

Hey Spike, To answer your question, it has the CAT C-13 engine and produced 462 hp... not 515. It has a 26ft unloading auger to get out past that 16 row head... And yes it does have an unloading rate of 3.3 sec. The grain tank will hold 360 bushels. And the cleaning system is redesigned. I'm not sure how much detail I can go into, I'm not sure if they want all this stuff public yet, but there's more to it then I just mentioned. I've got a couple of brochures on it already. If you want to buy the 590R and live in the Northeastern part of Texas, I will be glad to sell you one. Have a Good Harvest

GREENBEAN

I would like to know how they get so much more corn out of the same size augerIJ It was runnining at a high speed before. I always thought the clean grain was to small. looks like they fixed that part.

2rotorsrule

Maybe they changed the pitch of the flighting. My question is where is an advantage in capacity going to come from in dry wheat. losses on both seperator and sieve show up around 4.3-4.6 mph with a 36' macdon draper, in 50-65 bushel wheat, running only 55% engine load. In tough conditions you are limited by knocking it out and separating not engine load. The big 590 has the same width cylinder as our 480 so how can you go faster when its not an engine power problemIJ

CAT_ilac

To answer some of your questions it is the new cleaning system they have. It is called the JetStream. It has a higher wind pressure and a 56% larger precleaning cascade. It takes alot of the load off the cleaning shoe before any MOG hits the sieves. They have also come out with a new sieve, that you might have heard of... its the TM6. It allows for larger wind distribution. Works really well in corn. Haven't seen what it does in wheat yet, but they say it does wonders for it too.

Robert

CAT-ilac, I live in kansas and would like to talk with you more about this machine. I currently have a 485 and would like to get changed over to a 580-590. Could I have your email or phone numberIJ

CAT_ilac

Sure, you can email me at jason.chancey@holtcat.com As much as I would like to sell you one, I cannot, because you are not in my territory. And I like those Martin Boys too much to go tresspassin. But I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. Just shoot me an email. Good Harvesting, Jason C.