Combines speed in barley

tobaboy

Try leaving your de-awning plates open, crack your fan wide open, open your top sieve, slow down your cylinder to maybe 600-650, also check to make sure your concave is level. Slowing down the rotors was a good idea, sounds like your overloading your sieve with MOG, try some of this stuff and report back, I always found that with our 480 it was sieve loss that limited us in barley not power. You may also want to try putting your windboard in hole 7, I did this yesterday in 70+bpa winter wheat and it seemed to help, I was going 3-4mph with a 36ft. head but it was usually power and rotor loss limiting us not sieve loss, RH was 95%, our 480r was using all 430 available HP, I hope things dry up soon. Good luck.

willymakeit

Not sure in barley, but in wheat we gained 2 mile per hour when we broke down and installed 2 blanking plates under each rotor. We were running a 470, and a 470 has a even smaller cleaning aera than a 480. I will tell you that installing is not fun. Good luck.

Farmerman

My brother just got a 470 this year - we have only done a few peas so far. Without experience in barley I would have thought you could run the concave farther open.

cat_man

tried the windboard in hole 7. opened top sieve to 20 mm back section all the way open, bottom sieve 16mm, wind at 1450, cylinder 600 (during day 700 morning and evening) concave 20 mm (during day start at 10 in morning and evening) disawing open rotors slow 640. Seemed to inprove siev loss a lot. When it is damp and tough I am able to go 3.2 mph with the 42' honeybee in 85 bushel barley. Still when the sun shines I am down to 2.8 mph. Thank you for the help seems to work just fine. We are wet around here also. Get about a couple hours of combining a day.