Combines Straight cutting canola

kp

You can sure try it, but if you have a chance to swath it yet thats what i would do. We used a canola pusher to lodge our crop in 2000 to reduce shelling and then straight cut it, and we averaged about 6-7 bushels an acre less due to shelling. If you do it right you may be successfull, but you are risking alot if you ask me.

Bigsky

No...no...no.. I have been growing canola for over 30 years, and you do not straight cut canola, unless its of the Polish vararity. If its the Argentine, which more than likely it is, then you will lose to much to shatter. Also you will get more green count, if you don't swath (windrow) it and give it time for dry down and curring.

batman

I have seen canola sprayed with roundup and it can sometimes seal the pods it actualy seems to toughen them up ,may depend on the year. We strait cut some last two years and it turned out good might have lost a bit from shelling but was a better sample and bigger seed so it probable weighed up better. every year is different. It can be done

boetboer

In South Africa some farmers spray canola with gramoxone to burn them down and let them ripes, then straight-cut them. It works quite well, way less material has to go through the combine and losses are way down.

Bigsky

I assume your canola isn't RR. The majority of canola grown up here in Canada now is either RR or liberty-link. I agree that you can straight cut it, but it only takes one good howling wind to loose a years work. Up here there are millions upon millions of acres of canola, and I've only seen it straight cut once, and the guy swore he would never do it again. Also up here it can snow anytime after Sept 15 and stay (touch on wood). Were abouts are you locatedIJ Do you dry your canolaIJ Are green count tolerances differant in your area, or where you sell the canolaIJ Anything rolling out 2% green or more is downgraded here. Dry is 8.5% down from 10% at one time.

Big_Truck

In Ireland nobody swaths their Canola,everybody sprays it with "Ryglone" and then straight cuts it about 2_3 weeks later. We use a Claas 570 lexion fitted with a electric side knife and a special Claas header whereby the sickle and the pan can be hydraulically extended out beyond the reel to minimise losses from pod shatter.Sure saves some amount of money_fuel_labour not having to swath it first!!!!

kp

I agree, it would be nice if we could straight cut - we used to swath all our cereals but found by straight cutting we could slash our machinery_fuel_labor costs. Only problem with canola is that over here in N_A our canola has been bred for disease tolerance and yield with no regard for shatter resistance. Over the pond you guys have canola that has tougher pods that can withstand the winds, and the crop is much thicker and can take more wind. THere is actually someone over here trying to market the vario head for canola. Good luck to him, but until our canola is a little more tougher, we are relegated to swathing.

canadafarmer

that someone how is selling the canola- header-attechments is me... have a look here http:__www.agcanada.com_custompages_stories_story.aspxIJmid=46andid=254

kp

How many have you soldIJ Do you have any contacts of people who have used itIJ

canadafarmer

I just started it last Year. I just did a study with the Northern Canola Growers association in North Dakota where we had 4,7 Bushels more per acre. Their Web-page is www.northerncanola.com