Combines lexion or John Deere

dakota

There are many factors influencing this decision. What are your usual harvest conditionsIJ The Deere might work better, or maybe the lexion. The color of your header doesn't have to be the same as your combine is. What kind of crop will you be harvestingIJ What color dealer is closest to youIJ How is their serviceIJ Do they stock lots of partsIJ How does the resale value of the colors compare in your areaIJ We've had Deere, went to lexions and back to Deere, because of the answers we found to above questions.

farmert

I ran a 590r for a day it will eat anything out their! She is a very smooth quiet machine, nothing like the 480's corn head is great, have not seen a platform If your worried about resale, lease it. lexion has the best warranty in the business. I run a red one but if I ever change it will be a lexion

Rotorhead

Alot of new lexions in the area. We are in a very strong dealer area. Moving away from 2388's and 96XX machines. The wet fall maybe a factor. However, my next combine will be a lexion. My 9600 has about had it. (Or I have about had it with the 9600)

Catmand

No do not buy a Deer either mine caught on fire last night I was getting 6000 BU. per hr and she just exploded no more Deers for me I getin a Massey.

FarmBuddy

I ran a 9750 with 635 hydraflex with Strunk Harvesting during wheat harvest this past summer. I also checked out the new 500 series lexion during this fall harvest and over at the farm shows. Bob, you are at least looking at the two best choices. Ralf brings up valid points about the type of crops, conditions and dealer support. I was not impressed with the header controls or poor float response on the JD Hydraflex, especially when locked up rigid for wheat harvest. It was terrible when running on terraced and rolling ground. On the otherhand, the cutterbar could cut short wheat at a fast speed, 8mph. But I think things have gotten even better with the new Cat 540 Maxflex with the center supported auger, dual knife drives and positive mechanical height sensors. This now your best option for one head to cut standing wheat, small grains, canola and then soybeans in the fall. Plus, you can vary the flex _ rigid header speed on the lexion, but on the JD. As far as machine adaptability to tough and variable crop conditions, the lexion seems to have every advantage with the APS early pre separtion as compared to the long ride through the JD tri-stream. The easy close disawning plates are darn handy and helpful in some hard to thresh crops and barley. The hydraulic overload relief concave has always been a nice feature and is even more durable and improved on the 500 series. RE: Grain quality, it was pretty difficult to get a nice clean wheat _ grain sample into the JD9760 graintank. That was just a disturbing aspect of the STS in wheat, compared to the lexion, but then I don't know how much this effected the total dockage and customers bottom line, but it doesn't help when trying to get a high test weight sample. It is no wonder that the lexions recover more grain, given the higher separating force of the dual 17" separator rotors verses the 30" diameter in the STS. And since the R-series the lexion is available with the fine tune adjustability of Variable Speed separation drive, which is independant of the threshing system speed. These improvements and other enhancements like the improved jetstream cleaning shoe, really cut grain loss in high yielding conditions, thanks to input from past customers like Ralf and Naegele harvesting. And if you have rolling, hills the 3D sieve is the simplest and most effective system on the market. The lexion also offers serval other superior aspects over the JD STS: CEBIS monitoring provides much more information and is a lot easier to operate and understand. Deere has literally got themselves in a corner with their four corner post modules and monitors. All you get is "code" errors, whereas CEBIS flashes unusual events, alarms or conditions. CEBIS also has the diagnostics information and suggested adjustments contained within its electronic operators manual. The new wider cab and hydro control handle incorporates the changes requested by NA farmers. It is nice to finally have the unloading engagement on the hydro handle, especially for corn harvest. It is a real nice cab and ladder now. The suspension under the tracks eliminates most of the bumps and road vibration. This sure is a nice way to carry large heads, implement controlled traffic lanes and not have to deal with the hazards of wide tires or duals. The clean grain elevator has been enlarged to handle around 5,000 bushel per hour on the lexion. The electric folding graintank extensions have always been a nice feature compared to the pull pins and manual folding on JD. The new hyperfold out extensions are a further improvement with added grain tank capacity. It seems pretty evident that the lexion lineup, with up to 462HP in the 590 and a 1630 cornhead option, offers the best value in performance. It looks like durability is surpassing that of the STS and therefore resale value is building. The other variable is still the dealer, and in Dakotas case, he was in Ann Foley's territory and, although that is my native state, it seems that they are one of the smaller Cat dealers and didn't give the ag products and lexion combines the support that other dealers did. I noticed the same frustration while working for Machinerylink last year. So, yes the dealer commitment and parts and service support remains a big factor in the decision. On the otherhand, it is obvious that there are good Cat Ag dealers with a clear cut commitment to their Ag customers and they have the capital and resources to properly support the large equipment and farmers. There are a lot of farmers that will stay in their comfort zone with another John Deere STS, but the top producers and early adopters are converting to lexion combines. As far as auto guide systems, you can be right on the row with the proven Cat wiskers auto-pilot or laser pilot sytem for about $6,000. I have yet to find a farmer who was satisfied with the $60,000 JD RTK auto steer system in corn at ten times the price. The GPS steering for combines in row crops will eventually mature, but it is not acceptable yet. Too many challenges related to curves, terraces, tied into up front headers and rear wheel steering. In the meantime, I sincerely consider sticking with Cat auto pilot, now with 14 years of field experience in row crops, or with laser Pilot with 3 three years of proven guidance in small grains. With both of these, you can jump right in or right out of the field with other combines and not miss a beat. Those CAT _ ClAAS engineers are pretty clever when it comes to their harvesting products.