Combines 470 vs 9650STS

Coors_light

The original 470 lexion underwent major change before its release as the new R series. The original 470 was a 290hp, class six combine. Upon the release of the R sereis, a new class 6 and 7 combine were releasd: The 290hp class six 460R and 340hp class seven 470R_475R. Each combine has a power bulge of 15 hp at 1900 RPM. These two new combines featured the newly designed lEXION multi-crop paddle rotor with vaned, eliptical rotor tubes with rippled wire grates for increased pull and release separation. The APS concave had an all new wire concave design. Many other features enhancements occured at the time of the R series release. All lEXION's received all new Caterpillar electronic engines, restyled cabs and total fly-by-wire fingertip control, etc.

Farmerman

What year did the "R" series first come out and how much did the capacity increaseIJ Did they do anything to improve the cleaning capacity, or is that why people are talking about the TM6 sievesIJ Thanks!

Cutter

How would an adjustable pre-cleaner prevent the chaffer fromoverloadingIJ If I am not mistaken, correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the pre-cleaner allow a significant portion of grain to fall through to the lower sieve to relieve pressure on the chaffer. If anything, I would expect the adjustable pre-cleaner, when opened all the way to prevent overloading of the chaffer. Once thing to keep in mind, with all of that grain going ot the bottom sieve from the pre-cleaner and grain falling down fromthe chaffer, the tendency to overload the bottom sieve is increased, with the only place for it to go is up, overloading the chaffer. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have watched it happen with our 9750.

Spike

Where do we find information on these TM6 sieves and what is the difference to the standard sieveIJ thanks

Farmerman

I don't know. I don't have much experience with the Cat machines. I just read something about these sieves ealier on this site--would also like to know more about the TM6.

Farmerman

You're right about a "significant" portion. Either our 9650 STS is not set up right from the factory or the fixed(non-adjustable) pre-cleaner is letting way too much material fall onto the chaffer. The material comes out of the conveyor augers, then onto the shaker pan to stratify it, and then onto the pre-cleaner. All I can figure is that there is not nearly enough of an air blast under the pre-cleaner to prevent a bunch of MOG(material other than grain) from falling through and on to the chaffer. This MOG should be staying airborne as much as possible an never sit on the chaffer to plug it up and prevent the grain from falling through. Rod mentioned earlier on the JD site about the adjustable pre-cleaner and I thank him for it. The chaffer losses have been reduced considerably in all crops we combine(wheat, barley,canola, and peas) just by closing the pre-cleaner to about the same setting as the chaffer. I have not experimented a lot as to what setting is the best. The limiting factor is now almost always power anyway instead of often chaffer losses. I'd be happy to debate the point further to find out if we have an unusual combine, or to possibly increase performance.

dakota

I did the same thing last year. A 470R and a 9650STS ran side by side for a week. The STS consistently outperformed the lexion in ac_h and sample quality. The STS also used less fuel.