Combines 475R 9650

lex

I am really starting to enjoy this thread! There is a major JD dealer here that inpsects my combine every winter. No need to name names, they are probably the largest JD dealer in the US. I agree with you as to the inspectors qualifications tho. They do have a large turn over and also deal with many many machines each year. I have not been impressed with the 9600 series machine since I bought it. I like the Wal-Mart analogy, it is very accurate. light frame, thin sheetmetal, average combining capacity. That is also the reason I do not feal comfortable buying a sts machine. I don't think that Deere beefed up the structure of the machine enough to last the long haulIJ Although I may be wrongIJ

Rotor_Man

30 years to put 15,000 on a 1480IJ Well not quite, it has taken 26. the combine is a 78 model,serial n1471. That is the 293rd 1480 built.AntiqueIJ (bristle hiss snort:) With this engine(it's had 2 436's and now a 466B with propane injection)and my Shelbourne stripper header I will run right with any of those wet nose kid 2188's and 2388's cutting wheat or flax.There is little of the combine untouched beside side and top sheetmetal and the frame_cab. everything gets inspected every winter and if it shows 50% wear it gets rebuilt or replaced. Bearings,belts sprockets chains are replaced by n of hours,not waiting untill they fail in the field. Even so I had a hydro line crack and a header lift pump fail causing a little down time this season. The transmission case and gears are original although the bearings have been replaced a couple of times. Hydros,final drives and most augers and pulleys_sprockets have been replaced several times.I love the way the updated parts fit the oldest models to fix an original weak design. I am ready to get into it again this winter.new elevator chains_shafts,sprockets are laying on the shop floor along with the stewart steel auger front. I will also replace the elevator top and bottom boots again,as they are thin spots. Feeder housing( the late model housing is a lot more rigid than the 78 model) along with feeder chain,sprockets bearings were all new again this year The secret is to not let the machine get shabby so you have constant break downs.There is almost nothing that wears on an axial-flow combine that does not bolt in,so you can rebuild and update them as long as parts are avalible at a reasonable price. It also helps that my part of ND has a non abrasive soil and very little corn or soybean. Crops like flax or spring wheat at 30-50 bpa do not cause the wear and corrosion you guys in the corn belt see with your huge yields. Don't discard that old iron,with factory and aftermarket upgrades they can run as long as the factory supports them with parts.

Farmerman

There must be a huge difference from the 470 to the 470R if what you say is true. We ran a 470 beside a 9650 STS in peas, canola, barley and wheat all season, and the Deere had about 10%(range of 0-20%) better capacity. The Cat had a better sample in barley and wheat.

Harvester

There is a big difference, power. One of my friends_customers bought an early 470. I believe it was only 290hp at the time. The 470R he has now has a C9 with 340hp. So the original 470 is more like a class 6 and shouldn't be expected to outdo a 9650STS that is a much lighter combine and is often powered up from its stock rating with these chips that everybody puts on their JD combines.

Rotorhead

Farmerman, is there a way I could visit with you on telephoneIJ Please email me at mnfarm@earthlink.net

FarmBuddy

Thanks for the explanation. I can see that scenario occurring. One owner, IH 1480, good continuous maintenance, using a stripper header (low MOG loading),harvesting spring wheat and flax (slick seed) and having 5,000 engine hours due to relatively long transport distances in ND. I guess a 1480 didn't have separate separator vs engine hours, but typically there would have been around 3,750 separator hours (at 75% field efficiency) for 5,000 engine hours. Good job with the maintenance. There needs to be more people like you going for the long run.

lex

I guess another way to place my question is: 1:can a lexion 475R or a 9650 STS be a long term combine 2: of the two which would you choose for DYI maintenance and amount of maintenance

FarmBuddy

I think either, the 475R or the 9650STS can be good long term machines since you are planning to do your own regular and winter maintenance. The lexion has more grease fittings with grease banks but I think this is an advantage over the long run. Grease banks on the left and right side feed the main bearings, for APS drum, main cylinder, VS pulleys, chevron impeller and front of rotors. All crop flow through a lexion is across heavier concaves and grates, which are also replaceable. STS seems to wear out the top of the STS housing around 1500 seperator hours. STS cleaning shoe, sieves and louver wires will wear out alot sooner than on the lexion, which are very durable. Typically the STS feederhouse drive _ reverse will fail, repeated if you ever run a 1230 cornhead or fast with an 830 in high yields. STS on tires would be better if you are going to do a lot of road travel, but lexion 475 tracks are nicer in the field and really valuable if you have wet conditions or a bad, muddy fall. Their limitation is road speed around 16 mph on the 475R. Auto steering is now a hot topic at the JD Days shows and ads, and becoming considered for STS combines, but the experienced and proven technology of lexion auto-pilot is currently the best system available for corn harvesting. laser pilot can be retrofitted and is suitable for small grains. Once you make the one or two day transition, you will like the monitoring, good wiring and complete phrase information available on the CEBIS better than the JD cornpost modules, which are limited by codes and complex calibration steps with awkward symbols. The cat engine 3126B seems more reliable for the long run, I seldom hear of those causing any high hour problems. It is my opinion that the lexion is the better long run machine and has better current field performance. Whereas I think JD still has the better parts system because of their long term and more frequent experience on a larger population of combines. Parts sales and profits may be a more important revenue stream for them. At the same time, I see the Claas Omaha and local Columbus, warehouse ramping up better parts stocking, storage and distribution systems and trucks. What size and year of headers are you considering with these two combine optionsIJ

Rooster

Farmbuddy, you know the 475R doesn't have a 3126B, it has the Tier II C9 with common rail HEUI. Too much turkey and will sometimes cloud the brain.