Combines Questions

2rotorsrule

You'll be disappointed with a Cat in Wheat...and as far as tough soybeans.......lets just say a TR98 will outwork a 480 lexion if irrigated beans get real green and tough stemmed. The 480 is a monster in Corn and gives a great sample with amazing capacity, that is if you have an even crop of corn. Once cob sizes and varying cob dryness begins to become a factor your sample will get worse. I laugh everytime I hear someone say the cat has such great capacity. In certain crops...yes, but wheat and especially tough soys....no WAY!

Harvester

And I can make a JD 6620 outdo a NH TR98 if I set up the NH to fail. I have been amazed from day one of its arrival at the Cat's ability to handle widely varying crops and conditions; it simply has no equal in performance. Do certain adjustments have to be made from tough green stem beans to dry, brittle wheatIJ You bet. Just like a TR. Don't get me wrong, the NH twin rotor system has some merit, but performance in small grains has never been its strong suit. If you laugh, you laugh alone.

Dr_Allis

I'm sure glad you guys signed on, now I won't have to tell about a customer that traded in 2 TR99's for one lexion 480. All machines had 12-row cornheads and after a 4 hr demo in hills and flat running it was determined that the Cat was doing the work of 1 1_2 of the TR99's, so the deal was made. They farm 6,000 acres of mostly corn and beans and after 3 seasons the Cat is being traded for a new 590 lexion, but probably will stay with 12 rows on the CH.

Harvester

That's the funny thing; I don't. If I was still in the cutting game, though, I would say that I would probably have at least one in the fleet. Nope, I just do a bit of my own and run a "word-of-mouth" combine repair business locally in ND. Then I follow every opportunity in harvest to get around and help test and tune my customers' machines, which cover every color of the rainbow.

tobaboy

Over an entire season we usually run about 8-10a_hr more then our neighbors TR 97s, we harvest wheat, barley, oats, canola, flax, peas and beans. I was always a little disappointed with our 480 in wheat, the sample was great, but I thought we should be getting a little more capacity out of it, we never seemed able to run it to full engine load, losses always limited us. Anyways, we bought a new 480r for this past season and I tried setting it a little different in wheat. I ran the concave right closed, cylinder slow (550-650),rotors as slow as possible (the variable speed is great for determining_experimenting with this),and the wind right open with the windboard in hole 7, I was running very little in the way of returns, which of course helped with the losses. The sample was still great, but I was able to run it to 100% engine load all day, without ever being limited by losses. After running this past year with the 480r, I suspect that the concave in our 480 was out of level, have you ever checked thisIJ How do you set your machine, and is it a small grains machine or corn_soybeanIJ

dakota

How was the crop condition this year compared to last yearIJ You know that the lexion has a lot more trouble the drier it gets.

dakota

Hmmh ...., you praise the lexion but only from word of mouth not from real experience. I harvest in ND, too. My customers there told me not to bring any lexions anymore.

Rooster

The only factor causing a TR-Anything to out perform any lEXION is the "human" factor. The lexion was so poorly set (probably to fail) that it could not perform properly.