Combines Cat Factory in Germany

land_surfer

It isn't the Cat factory you get to tour, it is the world-wide headquarters and main manufacturing facility of ClAAS. The trip is incredible. I went two years ago and envy those who get to go, I would go again in a heart beat. You fly into Frankfurt and bus to the hometown of ClAAS (Harsewinkle, Germany),stopping along the way at folk village for a traditional german meal (get use to it),then to the Warsteiner Brewery for a tour and tasting (get use to it). Then you're off to Beelafeld, Germany where you will stay a couple days at a very nice Hotel (Mercury hotel I think). You then tour the main ClAAS plant where all green and white combines are produced, as well as the forage harvesters and the Cat lexions begin. You will also get to go buy for a quick viewing of one of four of Claas's foundaries and then to their production plant where all castings are finished into final drives, axles, tracked running gear; hydraulic valves, etc. and electrical components are produced and much more. Funny enough, they even make quite ab it for Deere and CNH there too. You also get to tour a unique division of Claas that isn't ag related but makes manufacturing tools such as gigs, frames, presses for Ford Mercedes and Ferrari and AirBus and Eurocopter, what I call ultra modern tools and production, some of which spills over to the combine production. Ford is their biggest customer in this division. These manufacturing tools make Mercedes and Ferrari axles and body compnents for Ford and the fusalage for AirBus passenger jets and Eurocopters. Next you tour the main Claas parts distribuiton center. This place is unbelievable. 60mph robot pickers and just rack after rack of parts of all sizes that can be shipped any where in the world in around 24 hours. Claas talks more about customer support world wide as the most important offer over their products. You then get to tour the huge cathedral in Cologne, Germany and have another traditional german meal (sausage and kraut and bbeer or "bier_pils") and then off to the wine making region of the rhine river for a tour of a vineyard and wine tasting and tour a midevil castle for a couple days and then head back down the road to Frankfurt again for the ride home. It is alot of fun. You must take note of how advanced and how huge Claas is. I remember the guy who traveled over with us and did all of the combine presentations saying that the Deere and CaseIH combine facilities combined would fit into the main claas facility in Germany. We see them for the Cat lexion and their hay and forage in the US, but in europe and other parts of the world claas is like "John Deere" to the states. You get to see a glimpse of Claas and have a great time in Germany. When you watch the claas video at their museum and showroom called the technopark they show plants all over the place atleast a dozen or so. The plane ride is easy. It takes about eight hours, but you meet up with plenty of other farmers going too that you get to talk to on the flight over and the drinks on international flights are free too making the trip easier. They even have beer and pretzels waiting on you when you get on the bus at the airport and 8:am. If you get the chance to go, do it. It will shed a whole new light on the lexion and Claas and their comittment especially in the North America

Santa_Claas

I am going over to Holland in early April with my family, and I thought a day or two side trip to the technopark, or some of the Claas plant would be rather fun. Anyone know if this could be made possibleIJ Thanks.

oldspook

From the Nl to Claas is not a big deal. From the border to Harsewikel is a bit over an hour by car (considering you take the A1 _ A30). The Technopark is open to the public during the day - but after a max of two hours you are done with it.

KathAmber

If you have a chance to visit the ClAAS plant, go for it. It is one of the modernest plants for agricultural machinery. last year they spend about 50 million on the plant, they got a new paint and a redesign of all three lines. It's amaizing to see a new lEXION coming oft the line every 20 Minutes. Theres ist an other line for MEDION_DOMINATOR (small, less sophisitcate combine) and a line for JAGUAR (self propelled forage harvester). On: ftp:__ftp.claas.com_pictures_30_harsewinkel_luft_150.jpg you can find a picture of the plant. (Hope they haven't removed it, otherwise take a look on www.ClAAS.com)

Big_Truck

Don't forget also that Claas now have a full line of tractors too (from 40hp vineyard tractors to the mega advanced 350hp Xerion power unit) as they bought over Renault tractors two years ago and these machines are now being sold in the famous Claas green and red all over Europe.I wonder if there are any plans to market them in N.AmericaIJ Check out www.Claas.co.uk

Santa_Claas

Thanks so much. As the time gets closer, I just may be calling on you again. Do you think it could be done when I arrive in Holland and find out when my cousins can go, or should I call a month or two in advanceIJ Seeing the pulling tractor sounds quite ok too.

oldspook

Hi! As far as it concerns a tour through the plant, I doubt they'll set up anything special for a single person - maybe bring your cousin and some friends and ask wether you can get one for a "group". I know they are usually pretty flexible in that. I got a tour for group of danish guys 3 days in advance this fall, but I think calling like 2 to 3 weeks ahead may be smarter. If you own a lexion (or 3 Deeres) and came all the way from the US, they are usually very open and happy to have you there. As for the Pulling tractors - just send me an Email a few days before you arrive and I'll pick you up at the Claas main gate. That workshop is located on the way "home" to the Nl anyways.

Santa_Claas

Well, actually I'm from Canada, and have run claas combines since 1977. We started with a ford 642 which I believe was a Dominator 75 or 85, then in 1994 we traded it for a cs 112. Thank you for all your help to date. I'll have to contact the folks in holland to see when they can get away.

9880sts

thats gonna break the back of Claas. why do you think sell they so many tractors nowIJ i tell you because of the Deere Engine.