Combines 670 vs 9790

twinscrew

I have a 670 on lease. It is short on power also. Not the engine's fault. I think driving a rotor with fluid isn't good for effeciency. I think that it could be a pretty good machine except for that one major issue. One of my neighbors that has a 670 complained so loud that the Cat people actually pulled his motor to check it on a dyno. Checked out within specs. My JD combine with 40 less hp will run rings around the 670. The 670 uses way more fuel in a day and gets less done. A class 7 machine that comes up short against a class 6 machine can't be good for business.

riceman

twinscrew, you run rice in Texas if I remember correctlyIJ So you think a hydraulically driven rotor is a bad idea, then why run oneIJ Seems like a bad choice if you think a hyd. drive is a bad choice. We have a 9790. Run a Agco stripper in rice. love it. On the first field, the stripper hadn't came in yet, so we ran the 30' flex. The sample was the cleanest I have ever seen straight cutting rice. It was as clean as the stripped rice. I agree on being short on power. I think it has more to do with the Constant Rotor Speed setup. The rotor speed stays the same but the engine lugs easy. On our 8780, its just the opposite.

twinscrew

Riceman, the bad choice I made was to believe the Cat salesman that said that the 670 would get as much done in a day as a 2388, CTS, or STS. Boy was he wrong. I really didn't care how the rotor was driven. That didn't figger into my decision. I haven't slugged a rotor or cylinder on a green combine in five years now. For that reason, the fact that you can back a slug out of the rotor on the Challenger machine didn't impress me much. I leased it with a neighbor as a "helper" machine. It cut maybe 25% of my rice. The rest was done with a 9660 Deere. I agree with you on the good sample. I dry my own rice in farm bins, so that's very important to me. That part of the machine is OK. They just need to find a way to get more separation capacity and do it with less HP. The machine is now back at the Cat dealer. To their credit, the Challenger folks are going to go over the machine to see if they can improve the capacity and beef up a few high wear areas. Had to use a little duct in a couple of spots before the machine had 125 hrs on it. I met with a group of engineer types from the corporate HQ a few weeks back. They seemed to be sensitive to the issues that I raised. Time will tell.

Rooster

You're Cat dealer should have thought twice about not being a lexion dealer any longer just to sell second rate crap.

MF_9790

Hey, We ran a MF 9790 against a R-62 Gleaner and the Massey would out do the gleaner. The Massey was a little short on power, but if you tell your dealer I think they'll get Cummins or Cat to come out and up the power to where its suppose to be.

johnboy

I have just finished wheat harvest here and on one of the jobs there were combines of all colours including 460s' and a new 480R plus a 9790 MF and that Massey took a backseat to none of the others in Wheat or Barley in capacity or sample. It did drop in power at one stage so the mechanic was called out to find out why and it also seemed to like diesel but no worse than Deeres.Of course Australian conditions are different to other places but that is what happened here.

MW

We recently traded from a Massey 8780XP to a 9790. The 8780XP was never short on power with a 30' platform in soybeans so I don't see how a 9790 or 670 with 45 more horsepower can be that short on power. We've never had any major problems with any of the six Massey rotary machines we've owned in the past. They've all been very reliable well built machines that have gotten better with each new model year.

hv_user

I am on my second Massey combine a 8780xp.It is a great combine,trouble free,simple and good capacity.And out here in eastren Washington you can't give away a lexion.

land_Surfer

Well, it isn't because of the lexion's lack of power, performance, productiivty and reliability. I currently own a 485R (430hp) and looking a 585R. I run a 36' MacDon draper head for soybeans and a 1230 lexion corn head. I have had three trouble free seasons, as well as those who surround me, with our lexion. I have run both red and green late model rotary combines, even demoing a 9860STS, none of which have the capapbility of even keeping up with my neighbor's 470R (340hp) lexion. I have yet to see a piece of farm machinery built as well as, or with similar quality compnenets as lexion. They're tough machines to beat.

Rockpicker

I know a farmer who had a lexion last year and traded it for a Challenger this year because the lexion was broke down to often. I know of several other guys that have been displeased with their lexions. They can have problems just like any other make and now the local Cat dealer is trying to push Challenger combines.