Combines 670 vs 9790

newguy

After spending many hours reading much usefull information on this website, I finally have to make the leap into the discusion. It troubles me to read negative "opinions" bout lexions. I can understand poor dealership service, sales, and support throughout different areas. The problem is here in west central minnesota, I have a hard time with any other dealership than cat. we have had a 470 with a 465 undercarriage for three years. Operates 30 foot heads in corn and soybeans. this machine (1999 model) in my opinion has technological abillities that red,green,and other yellow combines are just comming out with today. found out today were trading for 575. cost us roughly about 12.00_ acre to trade. that may be a little high_ but it is worth it to us to have the service cat provides. we have run red_green in the past 20 years, very good combines, In my opinion you have to do what is best all around for you, when it comes to business inputs. PS. our main combine will never have tires on it!

newguy

After spending many hours reading much usefull information on this website, I finally have to make the leap into the discusion. It troubles me to read negative "opinions" bout lexions. I can understand poor dealership service, sales, and support throughout different areas. The problem is here in west central minnesota, I have a hard time with any other dealership than cat. we have had a 470 with a 465 undercarriage for three years. Operates 30 foot heads in corn and soybeans. this machine (1999 model) in my opinion has technological abillities that red,green,and other yellow combines are just comming out with today. found out today were trading for 575. cost us roughly about 12.00_ acre to trade. that may be a little high_ but it is worth it to us to have the service cat provides. we have run red_green in the past 20 years, very good combines, In my opinion you have to do what is best all around for you, when it comes to business inputs. PS. our main combine will never have tires on it!

northernfarmer

twinscrew: Is your 9660 chippedIJ As you know a rotor combine can never have enough hp. In our area(Sask.) every JD combine has been chipped to try and keep up with the Massey and Case combines. I know that some Massey 9790(Cummins engine) had power problems this year, with some of those ending up with engine failure. I was hopeing that the Challengers were better(because of the Cat engine). Did your dealer have any of the smaller Challengers outIJ How did they workIJ The smaller Massey(9690) seems to running very well. If hp is the only problem that should be a simple fix. Neil

twinscrew

Nfarmer, my 9660 is not chipped. It has a 30 draper in the front and a straw spreader in the rear. Both save hp vs other options. HP is not the limiting factor in green rice unless you aren't very particular about what goes out the back. I don't like to feed geese. I'd rather have it in the grain tank and available for sale. Even unloading on the go in muddy field conditions, rotor loss is the limiting factor, not HP. It runs faster with 30' out front than the Challenger did with 25' and is not motor limited. If you don't have to cut very low, the Challenger is separator limited. If you have to cut low and run a bunch of green MOG through the machine, it's HP limited. We ran a 660 for a few hours while they were setting up our 670. I didn't run it enough to get a feel for how they compared. The Cat folks were getting it going while I was more involved getting the 9660 (mainly the yield monitor) set up. By the time I was comfortable enough with how the deere was performing to let someone else run it, the 660 was replaced with the 670.

dakota

Opinions are usually gained by what a person hears or maybe reads, but not always by experience. For you the 470 has turned out well. Apparently your conditions were in favor. The tracks are very usefull in your area and you apparently have a good dealer. You have good experience. I have spend well over a 1000 sep. hours in a lexion seat in very wide spread conditions and different crops. (after running red and green) So I have experience, too and it was not pleasent. Apparently other people had bad experiences, too. This is how the negative statements come about. Unfortunately the Claas people are spoiled by their success in Europe and don't want to believe what is going on in America. It is very sad for me to see my fellow country men act like this.

justapurrin

yes mr dakota everyone has bad experiences and everyone has good ones as well, and yes you have more experience in every machine then anyone else on earth plus you can set one better then any farmer could ever wish too..we've all heard it many times now! in my estimation you and about 4 or 5 others are the main whinners on here though! and if you take notice there are just as many on the case, newholland and lord forgive me the john deere site as well!!!

Rooster

Many companies would like to be spoiled with the same success that Claas has seen over the past 10 years. It sure looks to me like Claas knows what's going on in North America. They came out with a new series of North American combine, whose configurations were designed in and for North American conditions, not Europe, a 16 row corn head, 40 foot flex and rigid heads, a 462_500hp combine, on and on and on...The only thing I see are the spoils of success!

newguy

when we bought the lexion in 01-02, there was one other 10 miles east of us. he is an organic farmer (many many many weeds),he thought he could harvest 2x4s. In 04 there will be five operating within 20 miles of us. including our old machine that was just sold. corn, bean, navys, lexion must be doing ok on... To be honest i dont know anything about wheat. if we could grow 100 bu wheat here. id do it tomarrow. here in renville county, 95% green. just wondering what types of conditions you were not satisfied with your 1000 hrs of operation in lexion, aside from the 400 series cab being too small for 2 people. happy new year!

FR

Maybe I will come and ride in your new Cat next fall, for if they do not get 8010 right on one more chance it will be gone, may be see you at Calhoon next summer have a Happy New Year.