Combines Just some feedback here

land_Surfer

I don't condone AGCO combines, a little harsh at times yes, but only when they are being compared to the avant garde of combine technology. I am not a firm believer in time proven technology without significant updating, for fatigue and stagnation reasons (engineers need to explore new ideas to maintain product health - change is our friend). I do support the AGCO combines as being economical machines, with some performance limitations realized much sooner than typically reached with premium brands. When I say economical, I am also referring to quality. AGCO has never struck me as being an innovator or leader in product quality (Baldwin_Gleaner and original Massey sure did, but attrition has consumed them),which are both characteristics common to being economical. I won't aruge that a properly set AGCO combine won't perform competitively either. I do see some areas of improvement that would make them perform better (i.e. a belt driven rotor for the Massey and Challenger models, like some 9720's and the 8590 had),just going bigger won't help either. Size is a big misconception in the development of combines. You don't have to go bigger to gain productivity.

Silver_Shoes

Sorry we have owned Agco combines since the model G's and yes 7700 and up in the green also. Our first rotor was an N5 and yeah it has some green stem rumble but let me tell you it would blow past any in comparison to others in corn or milo. We could knock the milo out of the head and still have a nice clean sample. Corn well its an easy crop to thrash, but those old N's could walk right through it. I remember an 8820 in wet corn running along the N-6 in wet corn and the 8820 didnt hold a candle to N, we plugged the green one nice and tight. Im not trying to brag about the Gleaners here, just saying I have extreme experience with Agco products and the have stood the test of time with us or we wouldnt go back. look in the smithsonian and see what innovation parent company Allis had, they were the first to build the fuel cell engine to power a tractor. The D-18 were produced with turbochargers and that sir is just a couple so called innovations that has came down the pipeline from the Orange Boys. Do some research and you will find many more such as the track machine prototypes that didnt quite make the cut, that came out of the company that builds the ugly silver seeders

Silver_Shoes

Sorry I just got on a tangent there, Im just trying to say that every company out there hires the best people than can to produce a good product for their customers. All the people that work for these companies are employees, from welders to engineers. So many people base a purchase decision on the color their dad or family ran, its similiar to the views of voters. A really good example of this is when Allis went belly up, who bought all the tranny toolingIJ Yup you got it Funk, and I believe DeereandCo. owns funk. We laugh about our 9635 having a Deere transmission in it. Check out the CEO of Agco and where he has all worked, you might be surprised about innovation and how it really evolves. When making a purchase, you just have to decide which product suits your needs best is all I am saying, something that doesnt fit your operation may very well fit someone else very well.

Old_Pokey

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this thread, if you want feedback or are giving feedback, but I will join in anyway. If nothing else I can make an even bigger fool of myself and everyone can laugh at me:) I agree with the last part of your last quote about needing to purchase the brand and style of machine to fit you and your business. I have not ran every brand out there, but I have ran several over the years and I have found the same you did, if the machine works for ya, dont care what color it is. However, if you were to do YOUR research on the inovation part, you'll find that most of the iventions the various companies are claiming as theirs, usually were bought or stolen from an unknown farmer or logger. As I see it, part of the reason our farm equipment technology has stagnated (in my opinion it has) is because so few farmers anymore do much shop work. I'm not concerned about the latest computer software driven devices that you cant fix in the field, I dont consider that technology an advancment in farming. In fact I consider it a step backwards. I dont know too much about AGCO as there is no local dealer here anymore. I do know that with all the merging and buy outs going on on a daily basis anymore, that the farmer is getting left out of the equation more and more. It used to be an equipment manufacturer made almost all of its money on the equipment it made. So the end user was very important when decisions were made. Now the farm equipment divisions of any particular company are just a small portion of the income to that corperation. A specific requirment of the end user is no longer important. There is no other choice available.

hv_user

You make some good points,I agree completly with what you said.Part of the problem is alot of guys still don't know who Agco is or were they came from.Agco started in 1990 and has done more in 14 years than some companys do in 50.In are area there are alot of rubber trac Cats because of the steep hills.( Northwest US.)When Agco got the Caterpillar tractors the guys around here didn't know who they were.I have a 8780xp Massey combine that has worked well for me but I don't care about having a status symbol or not. have a great year

dakota

Just a little comment to the one "weakness" of the Massey Rotor, that has often been mentioned here, the hydro driven rotor. If there is a weakness, AGCO already has the solution at hand: the Fendt vario tranny.

northernfarmer

Heard that Agco(in Europe) tried adding more hp(400+) to a 9790, they didn't think that it made a big enough increase to it's capacity. So they are tring a larger platform using the 8590's larger rotor and the vario tranny. A Massey engineer told me that the hydro was still their first choice, but they want to compare the two. Have to wait and see what they come out with for a class 8_9

Riceman

2005 model 9790 will have 350 hp. Bottom adjust elevator chains and a few other improvements. 2006 is supposed to be the big boys introduction. 400 hp and 400 bu. tank. Its getting the bigger rotor. Not real sure if its going to be on the White frame or just shoehorned into the 9790 body.

northernfarmer

Riceman: Have they decided on the rotor driveIJ hydro or fendt tranny.....Neil

riceman

I didn't ask. Next time I talk to him I will. He did tell me that the Vario is a big possibility.