Combines Cat in grass seedIJIJIJ

justapurrin

who is the cat dealerIJIJ if it is foley cat in kansas then no, they screwed claas and claas sent them packing so now All they sell is challenger and no claas of any kind!!

Old_Pokey

Naw, I'm out west in western oregon. Good thing you made me look cause they aint a dealer no more. I met them at an ag show a couple years ago when they had a cat here at the show. But I guess they must not have gotten the franchise or it was taken away. Now I dont know where to go. Still, I'm going to do research on the cat in grass just in case I fond it to be a good machine. I could probably find a way to get service one way or another. I know one thing for sure, it cant be any worse than trying to get service out of our local Case dealer:-(

big_rig

I also have been looking for someone running the 480 in grass. just got in tonight from threshing ryegrass. we also have a lot of bluegrass too, but were never real satisfied with the performance, but the guys at lexion can't seem to find anyone else to talk to who has run one in bluegrass. it seems to do a decent job in the ryegrass, but the biggest problem in all the grass seems to be that APS cylinder breaking up the straw so bad. sticks going down on the chaffer is the biggest problem, spennd a lot of time adding and removing filler plates in the rotors. i am in northern MN.

Old_Pokey

Well, down here in the willamette valley oregon the JD walkers are the only ones that run pretty much UNaltered. Some will run spikes, but they do a good job stock in the ryegrass and fescue here. The Case's all have to be modified somewhat to run grass. They'll run it ok without mods, but not very satisfactorally. I dont know a lot about bluegrass, I think you guys up north grow the majority of it anymore. I would think if you could get a machine to thresh and seperate bluegrass, it should pretty much do any other kind of grass, dont you thinkIJ Do you remember the old Class CS systemIJ It had the main cylinder down front and then a series of smaller cylinders and grates behind it to transport and seperate the material. If I could find one of those somewhat local and in good shape, I think I'd buy it now. The tunability and potential tunability of them in grass would really do well I think. I would think if one could spin the cat rotors slow enough to only use them as seperators they may work fairly well. Perhaps a few home built mods to lessen the aggresion of them for thresh but make them transport faster would do the trick. As you know ryegrass is allmost threshed in the feederhouse:) fescue is allmost as easy if its dry but bluegrass may need more, I dont know. I currently run a 1680 with a few mods. This year I installed a set of gorden bars and helical concaves and was able to run the rotor at less than 500rpm. It still threshed and seperated better than the stock specialty, but left the straw in great shape. I had to completly reset the machine as it was a complely different machine to run. The load on the chaffer was so much reduced I had to turn the wind down over 100rpm from where it was with the stock bars and concaves. I'm still fine tuning the thing as it will take a while to get used to it. If you want to you can email me and I'll keep you informed as I find anything around here. Who knows, maybe cat will get into the grass harvesting business someday:)

Chuckm

I go by there a couple times a month and I was windering why I hadn't seen a lexion in a looooong time.