Combines cat 480 replace two axial flowsIJ

low_end_torque

hard to say, keep in mind header size. look at the size of your fields, i.e. is the combine going to have to wait on grain cart to get back. If you have a tractor that is available and get a big grain cart then sure it can do pretty good, to be fair why not just add a grain cart to what you have nowIJ I don't know it may be cheaper to add a grain cart to what you have (if you have an extra person to run it) put a pencil to it and find out. Are the 88's giving you problemsIJ if yes replace, if no add grain cart. just my 2 cents

Case_Farmer

Honestly ive always heard one combine and grain cart can always out do 2 combines minus grain cart perhaps you should think about that.. Also i don't think the biggest combine (either brand) Could out do 2 combines (either brand) with a grain cart I just don't see it being possible unless...... You really want to spend alot of money's

Rotorhead

I don't think any 1 combine can replace two 88's. The 88's are no slouch combines. I am in a similar situation tho and I think one combine would gain others effiency that you may not have thought of. The biggest being time in maintenance, fueling, repairs, storage. Not just for the machine but for all the headers also. I run an old 9600 and a 7720 and my next move is a single machine move. I am tired of upkeep, fueling, greasing, preping machines every morning. I would rather start combining alittle earlier and maybe another day if I have to.

tobaboy

We've averaged anywhere between 18 and 21a_hr with our 480r, it all depends on the conditions and crop density. If you can get your hands on an 'R' series 480 I would do that, we've had both, but prefer the higher horsepowered R. Good luck

Case_Farmer

The best part of 2 combines one goes down...you keep going.. And yeah when a 2388 can do 15 acres a day easily and thats with older heads then that says something maybe sometime we will upgrade to a draper head and a 2200 corn head im sure we would really improve on acres an hour

8410T

Tobaboy is on the right track - consider bushels per hour vs. acres per hour. Output productivity is what you're after. For instance, if you do not change your grain handling capacity "behind" the harvester (no more trucks_auger wagons_people): very low yielding crops that can be harvested quickly will benefit from additional machines while higher yielding crops harvested with one larger machine can be more efficient. You'll have to "do the math" for your situation.

Rotorhead

The bad part of two machines is one goes down, you have to find parts, and repair while you have someone hauling grain and running the other machine. There are good and bad both ways.

Big_Al

Case farmer is right your most economical move would be to get a grain cart and add it to your two combines you have. I run a cart with my one combine and I have watched my neighbours combine with their four 9860 Deere's and thet do not have a cart. At any given time when watching them one machine is either dumping on the truck or on the way to dump or on the way back from the truck from dumping. If you are harvesting on average 200 acres a day without a cart now, you would get about another 25 to 30 acres in a day with a cart and a GOOD cart driver. These figures would probaly go up if you are harvesting barley because you would be dumping more and you would be getting more use out of your cart.

Case_Farmer

Well...i guess thats possible But its never happened to us ever.....while we have been running 2 combines since 96 ish... I guess its possible.. If you only have 2 people we only use 3 at the most 4 people and don't have any problems But we don't have to many problems with our 2388's normally 2-4 things a year if that..... thats just my experience

Case_Farmer

I would seriously take a combine and big grain cart over 2 combines any day.. And i can promise you....You would do more Plus its alot easier to find someone to drive grain cart than run combine.. :)