Combines 460vs480

waterboy

485 isn't seperating the seed from the straw as well as I would like, this blugrass is lightweight seed and is hard to separate if threshed to hard. seem to be overthreshing and breaking up straw not sure if this is happening in the beaters or rotors,just haven't been able to get it perfected.

Cutter

Have you tried installing additional rotor cover plates beyond the first two rotor segmentsIJ You might try covering as many as four segments. Make usre than you are using the 6.5mm x 40mm pre-concave grates too (optional: close the dis-awning plates). One thing you might also try is placing a 3_4 inch diameter rod parallel with the rotor on the bottom of the rotor cage and lock in down with "U" bolts. This will create some added disruption to the material, flipping it and helping separate. Spike tooth rotors have also been used in grass seed. If small grains is all you are going to do, a spike tooth system might be the way to go. I would check for used spike tooth rotors first.

waterboy

Yes we are using the awning plates in the pre cylinder and have tried from no rotor cover up to everthing covered. The spiked tooth rotor could do itIJ Our dealer has also talked of putting in a wire concave , but these things sound costly for just a try. Do you have any thought on the 460 vs the 480IJ thanks

Cutter

The 460 and 480 threshing systems are the same. So, whatever you consider changing on the 480's threshing system might have to be considered on a 460 too. I know that spike tooth systems are frequently used in the Northwest on machines whose use is strictly grass seed. No matter the type of combine (460 or 480),if you are not using small grains pre-concave grates (6.5mm x 40mm) for grass seed you won't be threshing at top performance with either machine (dis-awning plates open or closed, you need the texture of the small grain grate). Ensuring proper pre-concave grates needs to be your starting point. As far as using a spike tooth system, if your machine is going to be used in other crops (i.e., corn, beans, small grains) consider only changing the twin rotary separation system to spike teeth and not the threshing system. I would still try running a rod (3_4" dia.) parallel to the rotors and fastened to the bottom side of the cage before changing rotors. If you do choose to go with a 460 make sure you invest in a full set of fishback risers and the Intensive Separation System (ISS) to make separation more agressive.