Combines Concaves

Chad

No comparison at least when it comes to the loewen built one. They are built much heavier so that they won't bend and twist under any conditions. CASEIHC had a poster up at the farm show saying their concave would flex. I would agree it flexes, but only in one direction and then stays there as it is built very light. You want something heavy that will not flex thereby giving you a good consistent thresh.

Rotor_man

My IH dealer told me the same thing, better to bend the concave than the rotor. This did make some sense to me. Now you can have it both ways if you use a much stronger after market concave with the loewen concave shock kit which replaces the solid left hand hanger rods with spring loaded ones. We use them on both our 1480's and they allow a small rock or a wet slug th roll through withought damaging anything. Also much less chance of plugging the rotor when combining wet lumpy stuff.

KFl

thanks for the info guys..........are these concaves made in the states or canadaIJ

Chad

And now CASEIHC is pushing their new and stronger rotor because that has been bending also.... maybe they will get it right some day as they continue to copy the aftermarket manufacturersIJIJIJIJIJ

Chad

They are manufactured in Canada and are available all over North America. There is a dealer listing on the web site www.loewenmfg.com

shucks

I `ve had good luck with my concaves that I had rebuilt at St.Johns Welding.One thing you might consider if you are going new is helical concaves from Marvin Gorden.Click on "attachments" on the left side of this page.I`m thinking of getting a set myself.Good luck

Farm_Kid2

If you are running small wire concaves, I'm guessing you will be cutting some wheat. If that's the case, I'm sure you don't want to go with line-bored concaves. That factory pinch point is in there for a reason. We recently went with the St. John concaves because the hard face material wears better and you have a higher bar to promote threshing. I will know more next summer after we cut some wheat, but I really think St. John is the way to go.

Ken

loewen aftermarket I believe are the strongest concave available, and will next to never bow, and along with their spring kit to allow concave movement when you get into overloading, you got it made. Besides the linebored, they also manufacture the OEM style if you feel the pinch point on that one makes any difference. I don't think it does.

Farm_Kid2

As I understand it, all the bars an a line bored concave will touch the rotor bars simultaneously when the concave clearance is set to zero. The IH concaves only touch at one bar, usually the 7th from the left. If someone has better info, I would like to know the real story. Mike

John_W

To add to earlier post, the "line bored" concaves are an aftermarket idea where the concaves are a regular circular pattern that matches the cylinder or rotor. OEM concaves are not a prefect circle or curve. When you get it next to the rotor one point, the so called pinch point will be closer than the others, so it has a pinching or wedging action between the crop and the threshing surfaces, which then widens out again. line bored concaves tend to have more agressive threshing and backfeed more than the standard concaves.