Combines 2388 in wheat

bigjim

I know of a few problems with the waste gate actuator not working and causing low power. If you plug the line going to the actuator and run the machine and the power improves that might be your problem.

Farm_Kid2

Does the machine have less power than usual, or has it always been underpoweredIJ The fuel pump settings on the 2388 are strictly for emissions, not for power. A 10 minute adjustment (while the pump stays on the machine) can make a huge difference. I think they adjust or change one of the springs. A Cummins dealer ought to know.

RAB

I had the lift pump (hand pump) on the side of the motor go out on mine. The motor would smother down occasionally when it shouldn't have. Changing the fuel and air filters didn't help. It eventually got to the point of being undriveable until I replaced that pump then it went back to normal.

skinnb

Kad If your machine has a plastic fuel tank you may try blowing the suction tube out. You can retrieve it (the plastic line) with a stiff piece of wire from the fillhole. After pulling it out the fillhole but a rag over the end and blow backwards from water seperator (disconnect at valve). We found they leave a plastic film in the tanks when made. Which ended up in the suction tube. Kind of looks like electrical tape. I know of two from our area with this problem.

Scouter_Ed

We had the transfer pump start leaking last summer and replaced it, it was not pumping fuel properly as the new one gave us a way more power. I had changed a couple sets of fuel filters but it had been the pump. only a suggestion. Good luck.

guru

replace ur fuel filters firstand check if fuel pump is working ok... clean out ur intercooler radiator...and on ur air intake if u remove the hose from u filter housing and have a look in the honey cones u may fined a build up of debi in there good luck please tell us what u find thanks

RAB

Sorry, I had brain lapse for a second there. The hand pump I had trouble with was on my 1680 but you might want to look at the electric transfer pump.

shellman

In addition to the other posts re fuel filters might also check the throttle cable adjustment. There is a spring capsule on the end of the cable at the pump and I think it should have some indicators on the moveable plunger. You should see one band with the throttle in the full position. You may also be able to feel the spring in the capsule engage as you advance the throttle lever in the cab. If this is not adjusted properly you will not have correct high idle. Might also check high idle and make sure it is on spec. Don't remember the number off the top of my head. On an emission engine without high idle you will not have adequate power.

shellman

In addition to the other posts re fuel filters might also check the throttle cable adjustment. There is a spring capsule on the end of the cable at the pump and I think it should have some indicators on the moveable plunger. You should see one band with the throttle in the full position. You may also be able to feel the spring in the capsule engage as you advance the throttle lever in the cab. If this is not adjusted properly you will not have correct high idle. Might also check high idle and make sure it is on spec. Don't remember the number off the top of my head. On an emission engine without high idle you will not have adequate power.