Combines 2388 roter wont engage

spiff

I am not sure,but had this happen to me once,I was combining and it seemed like the rotor was engaging and disengaging,it turned out that the gears in the PTO housing were shot,it could also be your PTO clutches.There is I think a removable trap door on the top of the PTO housing( I know the 1688's have one would have to look at my 2388)you can remove this and look at the gears this way. I hope this helps

gms

I think we found the problemIJ My son changed the roter speed and it would not go to were he needed it so it was close and he kept going so I think the speed gear kept going but the pully didnt spread till he got into some good corn. So the belt got too loose but still having trouble with the moter on the rotor speed it will slow down but not speed up. any thoughts IJ moter bad IJ

redman

the rotors on these are made so they do not engage until the engine rpms are up around 1600. the rotor speed motor has two limit switches on the sprocket and if one is bad or has alot of debris around it it will not allow the rotor speed to slow down or speed up depending on which switch is the problem.

shellman

Check a couple of things here. First make sure rotor rpm is not iin your tach display then with the rotor engages and enginie running try to increase the rotor rpm. If the display switches and now shows rotor the switch is good. Check the two limit switches on the rotating collar by the adjusting motor and drive chain and make sure the wiring and switches are intact. If the switch is not in contact with the adjusting collar it should be closed and have continuity. If you install a new one be careful how you hook it up. Those switches can be either open or closed depending on which poles you hook up. Switches open when they come in contact with the adjusting ring and open to shut off the motor. Also, have you lubricated the adjusting sleeve and are the threads clean. This is a mus t along with lubing the torque sensing unit.

gms

Today my son went out and went about a quarter of a mile in the feild and the roter quit again. The pullys are spread again If the limit sensor is bad would it move by its selfIJ