Combines Draper Head vs 1020 Flex Head

redman

Without a doubt go to the 36ft draper.If you grow any wheat and any amount of beans you will love how it feeds. You will not need fieldtracker with the draper head.

Chuckm

For wheat and Milo ...... A neighbor has (2) 2388's, one with 30' 1010 and one with a 36' MacDon rigid draper. They cut together at the same speed all day long. In this case the draper is adding 20% capacity to the same machine. It has always amazed me.

M

For cereals...go with the draper. Question: Is the Macdon painted in Case paint, or is it an actual MacdonIJ Why I ask is that the "Case painted" Macdons, I've heard, are more money, but are exactly the same. Could anyone confirm this for sureIJIJ

redman

My McDon was about 8000 cheaper than another guys red one last year. Dealer didn't notice till I asked him to compare list prices.

Cardinals

Same way with the DMI field cultivators and chisel plows. Red paint is higher than blue.

Case_Farmer

Well all i know is on the Case Draper it flex's in the middle so it flex's in 3 points The Macdon's only flex on two points not sure how great of a thing that is but for 8,000 more i hope it would be worth it (doubtful) lol

boog

redman, I have heard that the draper heads pickup rocks worse than a platform. Do you know anything about thisIJ Our dealer has 1 guy that went from a 30' 1020 to a 36' draper and he claims he can run faster with the draper. I looked into buying a draper but the price scared me off as well as the concern about rock pickup.

riceman

Boog, the Macdon I've ran seemed to pick rocks easier, but the center belt has a trough in the front of the front roller that kind of traps them and they just roll around. This was in Kansas in 2000 with a 962 I think. It was 36'. I cut beans and milo with it. Does wonders in milo. We don't have the rock problem here in Arkansas so bad. Its usually bricks and houseblocks that we pick up. On this website, are you the elder Boog or the younger BoogIJ This is Detroit from RPR.

redman

The case and mcdon heads are absolutely identical and flex in the same places. Hydraulic tilt on the middle section helps lean the knife back in the rocks. Still maybe picks up more rocks but out here in central South Dakota people are starting to roll their ground with rock rollers and people say that helps with either style head. the 36ft draper will outcut the 30ft 1020 anyday. I have got both and have run 1020 heads since 86. IN no-till cornstalks the knife on the draper cuts better and thedraper keeps such a smooth feed you can actually cut later without the machine growling at you. Drapeers look like they will take over out here, and they will cut closer to the ground than a 1020 no matter what anyone else says.

Case_Farmer

Well the 8,000 or 10,000 more bucks on the case is surely for something besides the paint My rep just told me it flex's in 3 spots not 2 like the macdons...so who knows...