Combines 1680 wont move pumpIJ

Old_Pokey

When standing under the left side of the machine, looking up toward the pump, you'll see the belt coming out of the pto housing. look inside by the pulley. You'll see a splined shaft. That is where the coupler is. It slides on that shaft when you need to replace that belt. If the coupler is wore out, the shaft probably is too. I just had mine all rebuilt this spring. The coupler is very pricey from Case. About $365.00 if my memory is'nt failing too bad. The pump shaft and test, was about $1300.00. I hope its something else, but this coupler and shaft is a common thing. The new coupler will have a grease zerk on it. The old one probably does too, but theres no way to grease it. You have to drill a hole in the pto housing to get to the zerk.

m

I went up and looked and i see the shaft and it is not turning but i didnt see the coupler. How big of a job is it to do thisIJ thanks

m

I see the pulley is towards the engine in the space in there. Is the coupler you guys are talking about, bolt to the pulleyIJ I would assume the pump has to be pulled to replace the coupler or only if you want to replace the shaft as wellIJ Thanks

rod

It is not a big job to pull the pump off. Either slide it into front end loader bucket or tie a rope around it and wrap the other end around the auger and lower it to the ground. Pull the combine to the shop first, my neighbor did it, just put it in neutral. If you are close enough to Regina, Sask Hydratec Hydraulics 306 721 2630 makes a better coupler than Case. He will rebuild it cheaper than Case also around $1100 Cdn but that might be more this time of year.

Old_Pokey

I guess I should've added that my machine is a navistar powered machine. I'm not positive, but I think the newer cummins powered 1680s had a somewhat larger physical size pump. When you take out those 4 bolts in the pulley, the pulley and coupler slide on the pump shaft so you can get the new belt between the pto shaft and the pump shaft. The coupler is pushed into pilot hole in the pulley. I knew I had to send the pump in so I had my machine in the barn and took the side panel off to use a forklift to handle the pump. If there are any splines left on the shaft and you just need to finish something quick, I dont know for sure, but you may be able to just loosen the pump and somehow hold it out enough to get the old coupler out and the new one in. Thats just a gues though, so dont take it as a sure thing till you here from someone that has changed the coupler in the field. If you had the new coupler there you could get and idea of the space it will require to randr. Again, my navistar machine has hard plumbed pump so I had to take the lines off before anything else. If your pump is hose plumbed, you might be ok to try moving the pump outwards with the hoses still attatched. If you do try this, leave the top 2 bolts in to hold the pump up and dont unscrew the nuts too far or they'l work their way off when you're under it. That pump is really heavy and some of the machined surfaces are sharp so be carefull. Make sure you clean the area off with air or something first so nothing gets stuck between the new coupler and the pto shaft. Hopefully someone here will have more info on just doing the coupler than I have. And thats assumig the pump shaft still has anything to bite into.

JHarvest

What Farmertony meant was the drive shaft coupler down by your final drives not on the hydro pump. look on the inside of your drive tires where the drive shaft comes out of your transmission to the final drives and check the four couplers which are on the shafts.

m

So when you say replace the shaft that costs $1300 or so that seems pricey. Does that inlude a pumop or is it some kind of a special shaftIJ thanks for all the info guys

Old_Pokey

I took our pump to Spencer Fluid Power in portland oregon. They are a large fluid power company. I dont know how many stores they have or what the other names the stores might use. The $1300.00 was for the shaft, any seals and gaskets, there was also an upgrade piece the works with the swash plate, the labor, and the testing. The person that did the work said it is an old pump and those particular shaft size and spline dimentions where only made a few years. He had to order one for me. But that is for my pump in a navistar powered machine. Is that what yours isIJIJ I did'nt really bother priing around too much though, I've allways had great service from Spencer Fluid and the local IH dealer sucks really bad. How far have you gotten with it yetIJ Have you exhausted all other possibilities of what it could beIJ Does the belt and pulley still turn, but just not the pumpIJ