Combines 4400

Sparky

Boy! You should be able to manually pull on the belt going from the varible ground speed sheave to the transmisson. If the combine is stuck in gear you should be able to tell because if the combine tries to move it is in gear. Could be a cable broke going to the transmission. If the motor is locked up and the belts are tight enough you won't be able to pull the belts. let me know how its going.

VAfarmboy

The combine has a safety switch that keeps the machine from cranking unless the transmission is in neutral. Can you move the shift lever in the cab or is it hung in gearIJ

Va_Farmer

Yes, right now it is stuck in gear. But i think i might be able to break the cables alose. I havent

The_Red

Remove the propulsion drive belt that goes down and runs the transmission. There is a safety switch on the transmission that can be bypassed so you have a closed circuit so the starter solenoid will engage. That switch, I believe, is just above the fill plug on the transmission. It has been about 9 months since I have been underneath the combine. You can probably unhook the two wires that connect to that plug and tape them together to create a closed circuit for now. I recommend you pull the spark plugs, shoot some oil in each cylinder and then attempt to crank and get some oil pressure indicating on the gauge. If the engine is stuck, use a large pipe wrench on the harmonic balancer. We had very little trouble unsticking the 292 on my 4400 after it had sat for 7 years. It did spin that harmonic balancer though so the timing marks became useless. I apologize for not responding earlier. I have been swmaped at work.