Combines buying 1440 1460

erulccm

we have a 1979 1460 with near 5000 hours on it....it is still runing strong! the only things we have had to replace do to wear is the bottom sheet metal plate in the feeder housing. obviously nearly all of the augers. a few bearings ....most recent....the one at the end of the auger. you want one that is retro fitted for the newer 1020 head hydraulics. one year the rear axle broke in two. luckily it was in the yard and not out on the road. we were advised to put stabilizer bars on the rear axel. we also replaced the spindles and one hub too when this happened. the bottom of the clean take away auger housing had to be replaced...it was wearing thin. last year we had something catch us by surprise. we were running some corn a little early(high moisture).....the drive shaft for the clean take away auger which sticks out on the drivers right side of the combine behind the auger housing. there is a plate that is attached to the housing which stabilizes the shaft. the work load increased and the shaft pulled the plate loose from the auger housing. it was not a big deal to fix....we just repositioned the plate and welded the edges. it did not break any chains or anything else. it was only attached with maybe 8 spot welds...... this year with all these late beans and green stems in the mix due to all this rain after we needed it.....we had to replace the plate underneath the beater because it was starting to bow out. we noticed when we got the old plate out that there were places where it was welded for reinforcement when the machine would go back to the dealership for inspections....it musta been something they touched up maybe due to some cracking. if you are unfamiliar to any of these things....i might be able to get ya some pix. something that really impressed me was when we bought a 1992 1660 a couple years ago......all of these problem areas with our 1460 through the years have apparently been addressed on the newer machine with either a more "beefy" part or design improvement. i hope this was of some help and did not scare you from the thought. our machine has a lot of hours on it. i was at a farm sale last summer....saw a 1440 with 1800+ hours go for around $8500.00........that machine has a lot of years left. i looked it over pretty good....looked great......had some of the updates to the rear axel and hydraulics etc. .....there has to be quite a few of those out there...eh.

DF

lOOK ClOSE AT THE VANES IN THE ROTOR TO MAKE SURE THEY AREN'T BENT, MISSING, BROKEN, ETC. AlSO FEEl THE SQUARE BARS ON THE GRATES IN THE REAR HAlF OF THE ROTOR TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE STIll SQUARE ON THE BACK SIDE. IT WOUlD BE GOOD IF YOU COUlD TAKE THE COVER OFF THE FRONT OF THE ROTOR TO CHECK THE TRANSITION CONE. THEY WIll WEAR ON THE BACK EDGE OF THE SEEMS, AND THE VANES IN THERE COUlD BE TORE UP AlSO. IF COST WIll AllOW IT, TRY TO GET ONE THAT HAS ElECTRIC_HYDRUAlIC CONTROlS. NONE OF THESE ITEMS ARE REAl BAD REPAIRS, BUT WIll REAllY HINDER THE MACHINES PERFORMANCE. THEY ARE REAllY SIMPlE MACHINES, AND ADJUSTMENTS ARE EASY TO GET THE HANG OF.