Combines 4840 massey with 903 cummins

dav11

I live in south central minnesota. We have a 4840 and a 4880. 4880 has more power because it has turbocharger, 4840 we bought used on farm sale now has 7500 hours the only things we have done are tires, batteries, air conditioner, alternator,and had injection pump gone through and set up to 300hp by Cummins and they also have set the overheads a couple of times we have owned it about 20 years now and we are very happy with it. it is probly one of the better tractors we have ever owned. We have never had any problems with engine. It does not have as much power as 4880 because it is not turboed, all depends on how much you need.

dav11

I live in south central minnesota. We have a 4840 and a 4880. 4880 has more power because it has turbocharger, 4840 we bought used on farm sale now has 7500 hours the only things we have done are tires, batteries, air conditioner, alternator,and had injection pump gone through and set up to 300hp by Cummins and they also have set the overheads a couple of times we have owned it about 20 years now and we are very happy with it. it is probly one of the better tractors we have ever owned. We have never had any problems with engine. It does not have as much power as 4880 because it is not turboed, all depends on how much you need.

hv_user

I have two 4880's and 4840 the 4880 I bought new has 13000 hours on it.The 903 will run almost forever IF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR ANTIFREEZE.I use disttilled water and antifreeze,also run the overhead ever thousand hours.The other tracters have 5 and 8ooo hours and none have had any trouble at all.Check axle bearings yearly, and if you have the transmission out do All the updates.I went through the transmision at 10000 hours it just needed bearing seals. I also recomend never down shift power shift at road speeds, this is the hardest thing you can do to this tractor.

swtvid

We have a 4840 that it seem to have a lot of white smoke when engine is not under load, sound like it is missing some when first started, at 5000 hour. Ouion farmer with are the update for tranyIJ

Deerebines

Sounds like you have a dirty injector, Although, the white smoke, missing some descriptions indicate possibly a cracked head or blown head gasket. If that was the case though you should experience severe power loss from what you are used to.

roanoke_massey

I purchased a 4880 a year ago at an auction. The 903 is a good engine, but not in a truck application where you are up and down on the RPMs. When I purchased my 4880 I priced a rebuilt motor to help me decide what to bid, the cost was $10,000 US dollars. They are not cheap! Also if it has 3pt, it can be expensive to fix if the "black box" is bad. The 3pt is all electronicly controlled. This tractor will probably have a 3 speed power shift, note that it is not the same power shift that is in the 2700 series tractors. The 2700s had there share of problems, but this one can handle 375+ hp. We have had Masseys forever. 2745 with perkins V8 504, 1805 with cat V8 3208, and now a cum V8 903. The 4800s I think are great tractors for the money. Also note that they are costly to service. They hold a lot of oil. Steering and remotes share a tank. Trans has its own case. Front and rear axles have there own. There is also three pumps and a lot of filters. The plus side of this design is that if you hook up to a tool that has bad oil in the cylinders it will not mess up the entire tractor. All filters have sensors on them and lights on the dash. Pretty good considering the age of these tractors. If you have any more questions let me know. Not sure what you are running now but I think you will like the tractor.

swtvid

The engine dose not mise after worm up to runing temp. Steal has good power to.

hv_user

The smoke at start up is normal,mine sometimes miss after they have been sitting.You should take yearly oil samples to check for antifreezes in the oil.If you have not ajusted the valves and injecters, in you should have it done. The updates are one piece snap rings installed in 3 places in tha trany. They replace two piece snap rings witch sometimes fail.There is also A retainer installed next to low clutch pack to hold that snapring in place.These improvements will make it run A long time. The biggest mistake guys make is to continue running this transmission when there seems to be A problem. Its alot CHEEPER to take it apart before it grinds it self apart. goodluck

GeneO

I had a 4880 for 6 years. Pulled a 48 foot airseeder with it as well as a 1482 pulltype combine. Had to have the front dif bearings redone twice. Situation normal with inboard planetaries and 24.5 x 32 duals. Zero problems with the 903. They all slober and smoke white on startup as well as when they are idling for extended periods such as filling the airseeder tank. Also have a Versatile 555 with a Cummins 555, baby to the 903. Also on a 1482. Neighbors think there's a fire in the field when we start up in the morning. lots of white smoke until you get em warmed up under some load. Broke the pto shaft in the tranny. Had to have that replaced. Tranny was in excellent shape and heavy duty. I used to work for Case Power and Equipment. The powershift and tranny gears in a 90 series Case look like they should be in my Harley, not a tractor. Massey is built well. I guess that's why they had to give it up, cost to much to build. Agco's 4x4 is basically the same frame and cab with a N14 Cummins and a 15 speed truck tranny. Don't know how that will work out but will be cheap to fix. Nieghbors have 10000 hours on a 4880, only normal maintenance on the 903. I wouldn't be scared of the engine at all. Nice to run, good power shift, great combine tractor. You guys will love this, traded it off on a 8570!!! Way ahead of a 1482. Still have crop out in Southern Alberta. looks like April now.