Combines Cleaning Fan Speed Can we change the designIJ

iaremec

i just saw a 2188 that had the bottom spring pulley stuck. ccould that be you reason.

farmboy

I would just be careful when running the fan speed that high, you can start blowing grain out the back with that kind of air flow. And I've seen and repraired machines with stripped gears that drive that fan speed adjustment. The fan was run too fast and the screw pulls in on the driver pulley too hard, busted the bearing and pulled the other pulleys into the gear that drives the adjustment screw. Your solution sounds like it could work and I'm interested if it does.

8410T

Thanks for the cautions about too much air and breaking parts - good points and I'm aware of all that. Everything is in tiptop shape and clean_greased correctly. The bottom pulley is maxed out to the point of no more expansion so it's running at it's smallest diameter and I run the top pulley tight enough so the belt is actually sticking out past the edge of the pulley rim. like I said and you have commented the strain can be too much. I've also installed that vane that Hillco (I think) sells to help direct the air to the whole cleaning shoe. When I'm harvesting heavy wet corn I'd just like more air to keep the material moving along. I believe I've seen Mr. Gordon comment about running the fan at 1250 rpm for the air-jet chaffers. I can set the top seive close enough to not really need the bottom one and more air will help out. Soybeans use about 1150 rpm and that's almost maxing out the fan speed. Do the 8010's have a higher output fanIJ That's too much total combine for my current needs but I can always get ideas on upgrading what I've got!

John_W

I think the fan on an 8010 is driven by a hydraulic motor, like almost everything else.

cycl

The 8010 has a fan that is hydraulically driven, larger in diameter, fewer blades, and are spaced farther apart. It is still called a Cross-Flow design. From my experience it seems to provide enough air flow but I do have concerns about what will happen when the oil gets hot. Will the fan speed drop offIJ From a design standpoint its hard to offer a product that meets every customers needs as a stock machine. Certain customers want very little air flow and others want maximum air flow for the high moisture corn type of crops. I would try to modify the 2388 to meet your needs by first contacting you dealer and asking about a smaller driven pulley. It would probaly be the easiest. It would be possible to power the 2388 fan with a hyd. motor but it may cost more than its worth.

swtvid

An ideas how big of hyd. motor it would take to run the fan. swtvid