Combines JD grainhead on 2388

C

I run a 930 on my 2100 series I.H. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Silver_Bullet

How did you hook up the auto height controlIJ Email me. With the full finger auger JD heads look like the way to go.

Nels

I run a JD 220 head on my 1460. I installed the dial a matic boxes and switch from Deere

Silver_Bullet

So lets open another can of worms. Who's auto height control is bestIJ IHC, JD, GleanerIJ I've had to replace the potentiometer numerous times. And does the IHC system react fast enough for faster operating speedsIJ

jalopy

I run a 1460 (antique) with a modified 820 with the old cable_hydraulic HC. It just can't work any better. I run in awkward, uneven fields, hills, rocks, no-till, conv till, the head control just always works flawlessly. I shave right to the ground across the whole cut, and never push. Rain_tough rarely stops me. I ran beside a 1660 electric with 1020 all fall, and he can keep that. The old cable_hyd can be complicated to set, but after i get it set i never have to touch it the rest of the season. My deere friends don't even have their dialamatics hooked up (7720s) cause they can't ever get them to work right. They use a stick-meter with a sight-ball or some goofy thing. Just my 2 cents worth.

Anteater6788

Your right that the old cable systems were pretty fast. We ran a cable 1440 and an electric 1460 side by side with 820 heads one year and while the electric is easier to run the cable was much more responsive. We now run a modified 22.5' 820 on a 2366 with a field tracker and even at speeds over 6 mph on rough ground it will out cut any other head I have ever seen. I think the new electric header control systems are much improved over the older ones but the hydrualic systems are also much faster which helps alot. We've tried a 1020 head and while it has some improvements over the 820s it just does not do a good enough job cutting to replace the 820. I don't know how Young's do it but there heads do an incredable job and even the Deere heads won't touch them.

jalopy

Yes, my 820 is a Young's special, too. Yes, it is a cutting machine. I ran beside a 1020 all fall, and you could see exactly where he went and I went. I out-cut him hands-down. My head is high acres, and is just plain wearing out. I suppose if i put a pipe reel, dividers, and other misc things it would be as good as new. How long ago did you get your head from himIJ I got ours about 6 years ago, and was happy. I talked a friend into one three years ago, and i think Young just pulled that one out of a grove, did his cutterbar thing, and sent it on its way. Had much to be desired otherwise. Can't complain cause he made it right with them, but it was a rough first season till they got the bugs and rust worked out of it.

Anteater6788

We bought ours from him two years ago and have been extremely happy with it except we have been fighting an on going battle with a vibration in the left control arm the wobble box mounts to. Young's took it back to their shop to fix it last winter but that only lasted for a day before it started shaking again then they came back one day this fall to work on it and again it only lasted about a day before the problem returned. They are going to give us a good frame to put ours on since our frame was mangled up pretty bad and hopefully that will solve the problem. Ours has the pipe reel, new style dividers and we also repainted it. While we have it apart to change the frame I think I am going to convert the auger to full fingers to improve feeding when the beans get tough, it would also be nice if you could put the stainless steel floor sheets on it. As many heads as they have out they are bound to have a few with problems but they do go out of their way to make things right if there is a problem. Our next head will be one of their built from scratch 30' Harvestmore heads.

Silver_Bullet

Can a JD full finger table auger be installed in a IHC frameIJ Are they the same lengthIJ WHY NOTIJIJIJ